Disk overload 100%

Laverdans

The old bittorents worked well for me but this new one gives a disk overload 100% message then stops. rebooting or clearing cache restarts programme BUT trashes the download in cache. Runs for less than 3 minutes and gives same message. Setting cache in firefox does not help or solve the problem. In fact nothing in any of the forae give a viable solutiion. AND SINCE THIS DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE OLD BITTORRENTS but does in the new one, then the only variable to change was bittorrent. Can the developers first establish, or admit, the problem is with Bittorrent and them get a patch together before everybody migrates away?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue that appeared after an update a few weeks ago.

I had hoped the new update this week would have attended to it but no, the problem is still there.

There is 70GB of free space on my drive so I suspect this is something to do with either temp files or disk management handling in the updated program.

I can exit the program, terminate BT in Windows Process, then start BT again but the message appears within a minute or two and both uploads and download data rate drops to almost nothing.

BT Help says this a known problem, not a serious issue and will be fixed in the future, but in the meantime I don't know how to get normal transfer speeds.

Windows7Pro

BT build 7.8 29545

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

There are several factors that have to do with disk overloads, and part of it is how many things you are trying to do at the same time, or how hard you are pushing BitTorrent.

First of all, if you are trying to copy files while you are grabbing files, you are pushing your system.  Maybe you should stop your client and do your copies or other activities that are disk intensive.

I use an older version of BitTorrent, but it's version 7.  I have a few hard drives and I have a 50/25 mps internet plan, so I have the capability of doing more than what my drives want to.  I also have mostly 4TB Seagate drives which spin at 5900 RPMs.  Because I am grabbing and then doing other things at the same time that also use the disk, I make my memory and CPU work a little harder.  Now, this is 2014 and I have a 8 core processor and 16 Gigs of memory.  However you can still do this with only 4 gigs of memory, as would be the case if you are using WinXP 32bit. 

A word though, browsers use of a lot of memory because in 2014 browsers are doing a lot, so every tab or window you have open is eating memory, so if you are limited to 2 gigs of memory of less then you can't do this.  If you don't have a multiple core processor then I doubt you can do this.  If you have 4 gigs of memory then you have to watch your memory usage until you figure out your specific system.  If you don't have a good system then don't ask me what you can do.  When I am grabbing I set a max for my downloads at about 5 mBytes a second, but I have pushed it up to almost 6 without getting overloads.

Go into Preferences for Bitttorent and click the + sign to the left of the word "Advanced"  Then click Disk Cache.

Click to override automatic cache size.  Set it for 512 MB.  Click the box to Reduce memory usage when cache isn't needed.  Uncheck the box to Write Out finished pieces immediately.  The check boxes for windows caching should be checked.  The other settings I would say leave them in the default.  OK, now click on "Advanced" and scroll to the diskio items.  Look these over and read the manual to understand them. 

In the version I use I find the defaults to be perfectly fine, though there is one setting that when grabbing very large files should help you if you change the default, and that is the sparse files setting.  Read about it and then you'll understand why you can get disk overloads if you are grabbing a few large files at the same time.  For instance, if you start grabbing 4 8 gig files at the same time, then you have 16 gigs of file space that has to be zereod out at the same time.  you WILL get an overload.  Don't do that.  Instead you can either grab one at a time and that will minimize the time period that the file system is writing 0's, or change this setting, or accept that for a time period you will see this overload.  I choose to do the latter, which is I accept that when I start grabbing a few very large files, I will see a disk overload for sometimes up to a minute.  There is one more setting that I could see changing and that's the coalesce write size.  The reason is if that's larger, then you should be doing less writes.

I hope this helps.  Once again, if you don't have a modern PC then don't ask me what you can do.  Read the manual, look at your resource usage, and then accept you have limitations.  If you are using a modern system with plenty of memory then feel free to manually allocate memory and then release the memory when not needed with the advanced settings.  Honestly I'd rather my CPU and memory be doing more work than the hard drives.  After all, I have it, so best use it.

One more comment, I said that you can set a cache size manually to 512 MB.  I have a dual boot system and one is XP 32 bit, so I only have 4 gigs of usable memory.  I set that cache to 1 GB and watched my system resources and I don't have a problem as long as I'm just using a browser with a few tabs open.  If you are running Win7 or later using a 64 bit version since after all PCs have been using 64 bit processors now for many years, and you have 8GB+ memory then you can set this value even higher than 1GB

Another point I forgot to add is if you only have one hard drive.  If that's the case, then don't expect much from your system as that one hard drive is working very hard.  For one, when you browse, you cache items to the hard drive.  For two, your memory system can cache to the hard drive, although if you have a 64 bit Windows OS and more than 4 Gigs mem you shouldn't be swapping very much, if at all.  If you are using any other application then you have to consider its use of the hard drive.  If by chance you are moving data around on your hard drive then you really take a hit, so then when you add in bittorrent your hard drive is working like crazy.  It's best to hard a separate hard drive that has data on it that you are grabbing, and not just a different partition on the same hard drive.

Lastly, in the example I gave in my first post, my brain went weird for a second.  If you start grabbing 4 8GB files at the same time, then your hard drive is allocating 32GBs all at once, so yor disk will get overloaded while that allocation is going on, and it takes a bit to allocate 32GB.

Archived