Become a part of the community today! Registration is quick and easy and will enable you to post, send personal messages, and join in on the chat! It's as simple as clicking on the links above.

“Can`t open the destination folder” error notification

error

• Page 1 of 2
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

Being trying to share a folder I do the following:
  • copy the folder secret
  • open Bittorrent Sync client on another PC
  • choose Tab “Shared folders”
  • hit "add" button
  • Paste the secret to “Shared secret” field and…..
Finally I get an error notification “Can`t open the destination folder” (please see screenshot)

Could you advise what is wrong?

Thanks.

Attached File  BitTorrent Sync 1.0.116 ticket.png   68.52KB   164 downloads

#2 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

BitTorrent Sync Alpha Tester

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

It may be that the folder you're trying to add is currently "locked" (open/in use) in Windows by some other application/process

#3 killeragy

killeragy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have the exact same issue and the source folder is not locked (the laptops on the same table :)
  • vitz1 likes this

#4 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, but it does not seem to be the case. The folder I am trying to share is not used by any application/process - it is just a regular brand new folder in my documents.

Is that the issue is somewhat special? I thought it was just some typical newcomers problem. Are there any suggestions, if there are? Thanks.

#5 perennate

perennate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'd email syncapp@bittorrent.com if you haven't already.
  • vitz1 likes this

#6 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

the laptops on the same table :)

+1

#7 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'd email syncapp@bittorrent.com if you haven't already.

Thanks for suggestion!

#8 Vlokkie

Vlokkie

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

I am having exactly the same issue, getting the "Can't Open Destination Folder" error.

I have tried with three different computers now, trying to connect to various different shared folders, each with the same error.

#9 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

For those of you experiencing this issue, can I ask, does this happen for every folder you try to add to BitTorrent Sync regardless of its location, or just for certain specific folder locations? Let's see if we can find a common connection!

#10 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I tried some folders on two laptops generating secrets on any of the laptops - no way, so, yes, it happens for every folder I try to add to BitTorrent Sync regardless of its location :(

#11 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I tried some folders on two laptops generating secrets on any of the laptops - no way, so, yes, it happens for every folder I try to add to BitTorrent Sync regardless of its location :(

Thanks for that, vitz1 - can I also ask, are you logged on to your laptops with an administrative account, or a regular, restricted/limited user account?

#12 bugmenot

bugmenot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

same problem here, i have admin privileged on both computers. one is mine and other is my brother who is in the room next to me.
folder location are everything from the default \user\BTsync folder to one on a external hdd.

i have tried the secret, the read only secret, and one-time use ones.

i have also turned on every options in "general" of the target folder

edit:
both my machines used WIN8
and the folder on the "source" machine are populated whit some test movie and a test notepad.txt

I get the same error if I try to add a folder that doesn't yet exist. Btsync doesn't seem willing to create the folder for you, you need to create it yourself first before adding it in btsync.

this was way i failed :( . maybe i should read the instructions some more when i try new things. they are sadly the first thing i trow away. *sigh*

But i got it working whit out any problem :D

Edited by bugmenot, 25 April 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#13 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks. All accounts are administrative ones.

#14 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ok, so so far we've ruled out then:
A ) the location/name of the folder as being the issue
B ) the location being "locked"/"in use" at the same time by the system, or some other process or application
C ) the type of user account logged on as

So, the next logical question would be; what OS version's are you guys all using? ...I wonder if there's perhaps a similarity/connection there?

#15 ctrlfrk

ctrlfrk

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I get the same error if I try to add a folder that doesn't yet exist. Btsync doesn't seem willing to create the folder for you, you need to create it yourself first before adding it in btsync.

#16 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I get the same error if I try to add a folder that doesn't yet exist.

Good point! I wonder if this is what the OP and others were trying to do?

#17 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

So, the next logical question would be; what OS version's are you guys all using? ...I wonder if there's perhaps a similarity/connection there?

Hi, I use Win - 7.

#18 Vlokkie

Vlokkie

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

As posted above I had this "Can't open the destination folder" error" problem. After struggling using three different computers, and trying to sync different folders, I found my problem.

When trying to sync with the second and third computers I was leaving the "folder to sync" field empty.

I don't know why, but I thought that this field should only be filled in on the first computer to direct what files should be shared. Its only later I thought "but where does the synced files go on the second computer?" that I realised the other computers should also have a destination folder to sync.

Once I set everything up properly, and waited a few minutes, the folders synced and updated.
  • vitz1 likes this

#19 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

• Moderators
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

As posted above I had this "Can't open the destination folder" error" problem. After struggling using three different computers, and trying to sync different folders, I found my problem.

When trying to sync with the second and third computers I was leaving the "folder to sync" field empty.

I don't know why, but I thought that this field should only be filled in on the first computer to direct what files should be shared. Its only later I thought "but where does the synced files go on the second computer?" that I realised the other computers should also have a destination folder to sync.

Once I set everything up properly, and waited a few minutes, the folders synced and updated.

Great! Glad you've managed to track down the issue! Yes, "Can't open the destination folder" is not a very user-friendly error - it would be much clearer if this said "Please select a folder to sync" or similar!

Hopefully the team will re-word this error, but in the meantime, as it appears to be catching a number of users out, I've now added an Unofficial FAQ entry to clarify the meaning of this error!

#20 vitz1

vitz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Great! This will be sent to BitTorrent Sync Support as a reply to the ticket I have created regarding the issue. I hope they will set more meaningful notification for the error. Also it is badly needed to clarify the step of destination folder setting on the recipient side in the full product guide and getting started one (no doubts accompanied by screenshot)

Thanks again.

• Page 1 of 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: error