Recent Windows Update Affecting BitTorrent

nursemorph

Hi. Before I start, I want to point out this is a possible reason and fix for those who may have suddenly, for no apparent reason, lost connectivity and functionality of BitTorrent in the last couple of days.

I started getting issues with BitTorrent yesterday wherein I couldn't download anything. The peers list on individual torrents where showing as maybe 10 total when it should have been in the 1000s. In the bottom right corner (where you get the connection icons...orange triangle, green tick etc) there was no icon and, upon running the test I got a red cross in the first section and the second told me that my port wasn't open.

The issues above started without warning or reason as I hadn't changed a single thing on my PC. The only change I had made was to download Microsoft Updates the day before. This morning I did a System Restore to a week ago (ie prior to the updates) and ran the connection test again and I got green ticks on both, indicating that everything is now working fine.

I am running Windows XP SP3 so, presumably, the Update will only affect XP machines. I use Windows Firewall only and use MSE as my Anti-Virus. As I said, the only changes I had made was the Update and it works fine since the Restore. I am in the process of installing the Updates one at a time to find out which one is the culprit and will update you on what I find. Hope this is of help to some

Update: Started getting issues again after installing the first update I tried which is the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (August 2013) - KB890830. System Restore has again got BitTorrent working again, so this appears to be affecting it..not sure why though. However, there is still a major issue with Peers/Seeds not showing up. Have got the same as earlier: On a torrent that is listing 10k+ peers on the site I got it from, I have only 13 peers showing on BitTorrent. Tried a different file to check and that one only had about 40 peers when I know it should have a lot more. I could understand it if it was an obscure file but it's not. Have no idea if it is a BitTorrent issue or a World-wide issue, just know I should have more peers showing than are. I think it's time to just give up. Good luck to everyone else who is having issues and hope you solve them

Update Number 2: Hmmm...well, the seeds issue appears to have been related to the torrent I was trying to download as I have just added another one of the same title but from another site and it is downloading fine with loads of seeds. So, after all that, it seems it was the WIndows Malicious Software Removal thing that caused the problems...at least, for me anyway. Hope all of this helps some people (Maybe if people with Vista/Win 8 etc have the same issue, then they may have also d/l the Update, so may be worth trying a restore....or it may just be with XP).

Archived