Easy questions-Trying to understand seeding/ratio

roseycheeks

I have some questions I would really appreciate answers to concerning private sites like bittorrent

1.Which ratio affects a user on bittorrent? Is it the "Share ratio"? How does it benefit them, in contrast how does it negatively affect a user when they do not have a good ratio. Are the affects only pertaining to the current download or to all downloads

2. Im learning that you have to seed files to boost this ratio. (What is the ratio called?). When you seed, does it benefit you more to seed particular torrents? If so, what makes the particular torrents seeding more beneficial? Is it the Peer to seed ratio on the individual torrents, or it doesnt make a difference as long as you are seeding?

3. Once you have built your ratio, if you continue to seed every download you make, popular or not, in demand or not in demand, (I guess im referring to "peer to seed?"), will your ratio be maintained? Or, would you have to continuously choose certain torrents to download which are more popluar with a better peer-seed to balance your ratio when downloading less popular downloads.

4. For example, if you have built a good ratio for the site and you are reaping the benefits (what are they again? Faster download etc??), and you decide to download a movie that nobody wants to watch or is interested in and its a large file, but you seed it afterwards for however long (How long should it be?), will it negatively affect your overall ratio? If so, would you have to seed a better file to make up for the loss? How would you choose a file to make up for the loss? In other words, what in simple terms makes seeding a specific torrent better or worse?

I appreciate anyone taking time to help me! Thank you!

Your upload rate on whatever torrents you're downloading has the biggest effect on your speeds. Not all torrents require good upload to be able to download at max speed (these I call "top heavy" or "supply heavy"). Demand heavy torrents require a very precise percentage of your connection's upload capacity in order to download at optimal speed for the torrent. Even then, it may not be the maximum your line is capable of.

Any cross-torrent ratio effects are an artifact of broken ratio tracking and enforcement sites (most people call these "private trackers". "track" is the keyword there. They're a goldmine for anti-p2p groups)

In normal operation, overall ratio is meaningless.

• 2 years later...

How do you determine the "precise ratio" you need of seeders and leechers to get the best download speed on any given torrent? I saw a mathematical formula somewhere once but can't locate it. I think it said the best ratio is 30% leechers to 100% seeders. Is that right?

Never mind my question about seed/peer ratio. I found the answer. For those interested, here it is. This is posted, along with instructions for optimizing speed in uTorrent Preferences, at http://www.techsupportalert.com/optimizing-utorrent-mac-speed#adjusting-internal-settings.

Good Torrents

The general rule here is to choose torrents that have a high seed to peer ratio. Seeds have 100% of the content associated with the torrent and are only uploading to peers. Peers also upload to other peers, but are also looking for other peers to upload to themselves and their download capacity is almost always higher than their upload capacity.

This applies even though one swarm has significantly more active users than another. For example, a torrent with 30 seeders and 70 peers (30% seeders) will generally be faster than one with 500 seeders and 2500 peers (20% seeders) as the average upload capacity available to the peers will be higher. (TorrentFreak).

For more information see Good Torrents

How do you determine the "precise ratio" you need of seeders and leechers to get the best download speed on any given torrent? I saw a mathematical formula somewhere once but can't locate it. I think it said the best ratio is 30% leechers to 100% seeders. Is that right?

It varies from one torrent to the next and there is no precise ratio that will actually work.

Archived