Retaining (restarting) torrents.

Laeotaekhun

Hi all!

From time to time I run a "factory restore" which means that my laptop is stripped of everything that I've added and goes back to the state that it was in when I purchased it, with only the factory installed programs being, automatically, re-installed.

Obviously, before doing this I run a full back up of the data on my C drive (I use Norton 360) to an external hard drive.

This includes all program data, in addition to documents etc., etc., etc.

However, what I've noticed, when I've run the "factory restore" before is that the actual torrents are, for some reason, not backed up (although all other downloads are) and the data downloaded via any torrent is.

This means that I've found it impossible to start any torrent downloads again (that have not been completed) and any torrents that I've been seeding suffer the same fate.

Now, this time I will ensure that I copy all current torrents into a file on my external drive but what I would like to know is how I can then get them to start up where they left off (uploading & downloading), once I've reinstalled BitTorrent and matched the default folders with their, previous locations?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

http://user.utorrent.com/help/guides/migrate has steps that will allow you to resume from however much you had completed.

For the files you have that you don't have the .torrent files for anymore, you're going to need to obtain the .torrents from the site you originally got them from.

For others, you can go to %appdata%\bittorrent to back them up.

http://user.utorrent.com/help/guides/migrate has steps that will allow you to resume from however much you had completed.

For the files you have that you don't have the .torrent files for anymore, you're going to need to obtain the .torrents from the site you originally got them from.

For others, you can go to %appdata%\bittorrent to back them up.

Many thanks for the reply, it was very much appreciated.

I've read through the details on the link, that you provided, and whereas it seems to relate to torrents that someone may wish to import into u/BitTorrent I would guess that the principles are the same.

So, would I be correct in assuming that if I copy all current torrents into a folder (on my external drive), before I run the restore, and then copy and paste them into their original location (in my download folder, on C) plus ensuring that BitTorrent uses the same folders as it was (for new/completed torrents) that all should be well and they would pick up where they left off?

I picked up, particularly, on the reference to "renaming appended files" but, I'm guessing, that would not be necessary if they are being "re-entered" into the original application/locations.

Or, is that a meringue?

So, would I be correct in assuming that if I copy all current torrents into a folder (on my external drive), before I run the restore, and then copy and paste them into their original location (in my download folder, on C) plus ensuring that BitTorrent uses the same folders as it was (for new/completed torrents) that all should be well and they would pick up where they left off?

BitTorrent won't automatically detect the torrents without the resume.dat file. You'll need to load them manually if you don't use the resume.dat file (but that is reliant on you having the same username as well). If you put the files in the correct locations, you can simply load the .torrents in BitTorrent and have it re-check the files automatically as it loads. Once it does that, you should resume properly.

BitTorrent won't automatically detect the torrents without the resume.dat file. You'll need to load them manually if you don't use the resume.dat file (but that is reliant on you having the same username as well). If you put the files in the correct locations, you can simply load the .torrents in BitTorrent and have it re-check the files automatically as it loads. Once it does that, you should resume properly.

Many thanks again.

I think that I will be running the restore in the next week or so and if I have any problems I will post again.

Your advice/time is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Olá pessoal!

I have a question about resuming downloads that went sour. I'm downloading two torrents with multiple files each and at a certain point in the downloading torrent line it appeared de message: (ERROR: is a directory).

I've removed the torrent from the download list an tried to reload it, but after making an automatic check returned the same message.

Should I delete every single file and folder and retry to load this torrent.

I'd appreciate any help! THNX

Archived