BitTorrent freezes shortly after start.

Guest Markus

Hello, I recently downloaded BitTorrent, and when I start it, the top panel that says BitTorrent goes to BitTorrent (not responding), and the whole program freezes. My anti virus is Microsoft Security Essentials, if that is any needed info.

Any help will be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest hentero

ANY HELP WITH THIS?

My BitTorrent runs little longer than few minutes but eventually it freezes too. I have the same problem with other torrent-softwares as well (for example uTorrent).

So, the problem must be in my computer or in it's settings. I would really appreciate a lot if someone could tell me what is disrupting my torrent-downloads

and how to fix this.

...OR THIS ONE?

My internet connection breaks down every time within minutes from starting my VLC Media Player. This seems very strange to me that the use of a media player

has an effect on internet connection. I connect to the internet with Huawei Mobile 3G Modem and my browser is Mozilla Firefox.

Do you have any idea what causes VLC to do this and what can I do about it?

Guest macuser

my bittorrent is unresponsive it wont even let me shut down my mac! nothing is working trying to trash it, removing the internet cnnection nothing works! anyone got any help?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest nowayhose

I have the same problem as of recently. I have downloaded for years and have never had problems. For some reason though, I can download when using wireless but not when i'm using my dlink power drive.

ANY HELP WITH THIS?

My BitTorrent runs little longer than few minutes but eventually it freezes too. I have the same problem with other torrent-softwares as well (for example uTorrent).

So, the problem must be in my computer or in it's settings. I would really appreciate a lot if someone could tell me what is disrupting my torrent-downloads

and how to fix this.

...OR THIS ONE?

My internet connection breaks down every time within minutes from starting my VLC Media Player. This seems very strange to me that the use of a media player

has an effect on internet connection. I connect to the internet with Huawei Mobile 3G Modem and my browser is Mozilla Firefox.

Do you have any idea what causes VLC to do this and what can I do about it?

About BitTorrent and uTorrent - same problem on Xindows XP. Have no idea what to do. Installed both programs several times. Must be in conflict with Windows I think.

About VLC. VLC froze or stop playing video stream just after few seconds. Then I adjusted a setting in Zone Alarm Firewall and VLC was fine. Open ZoneAlarm, choose >Computer< icon. Click on >Basic Firewall< and set >Public Zone< on Med. but don't turn it Off while default is High. Try the same at >Trusted Zone<. This worked for me. I have ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1. but it worked on earlier versions as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest craziestsock

I'm having the same problem as everyone else my physical memory is through the roof and then just crashes the computer. But I found out if you put your computer in safe mode with local network the physical memory is where it normally should be when running the full version of your OS. Im hoping this gets fixed asap!

I'm having the exact same issue. I've downloaded torrents successfully for months using bittorrent and just recently when I launch it, it runs fine for a few minutes then stops running ("not responding" appears in the top bar of the window). I uninstalled then reinstalled it from the website and the first time it launched it did it again. I've uninstalled it again and don't plan on resinstalling it until someone finds a fix. I am thinking of trying a different product - possibly bitcomet.

• 4 months later...
Guest Gary Torrent

The answer is simple. You have a lot of torrents downloading. One of them is bad. Delete them all and start off slowly with the good ones. Duh.

• 3 months later...

I was having the same problem with BT 'not responding' when downloading. It would become extremely non-responsive almost the instant it started downloading yet an OS process like firefox worked fine. The problem turned out to be zonealarms firewall so thought I'd post it here to let people know a possible solution since this post pops up on the top of google.

I'd recently swapped my old DELL 2400 downloads machine to a DELL 3100, which offers better performance. Then I started getting the same problem as many above and probably many more who haven't posted. The fact I had changed machines sent me on a bit of a wild goose chase as it turned out to be unrelated to the hardware, both were running XP SP3. My old machine had an older zonealarms version that im guessing goes about things differently to the latest version I installed on the new downloads PC. After disabling zonelarms the difference was immediate, BT is now running very responsively. Fortunately I have a spare machine for downloads so disabling the firewall isn't a big deal but may not be wise for some.

I tried limiting global connections, number of active torrents, port forwarding, etc and even different clients but none of them had an effect so I'm fairly convinced there's some bad blood between zonealarms (or firewalls in general) and BT. Going to mess around with some settting and stuff to see if I can keep ZA running but have it opened up for BT.

Archived