Seeding

paulp

hi there I'm new to the whole bit torrent thing.

I followed the steps and downloaded a few things but they are "seeding"

What exactly is this? will it eat into my usage limits ie I am currently on 7g/ month, how do I set limits and how do I stop it when it has reached those limits   ?

• 3 weeks later...

Seeding is the process of upload data to others, to help them complete the torrent download. The 'whole bit torrent thing' works this way; people upload/download data to/from each other.

If your 7G includes upload bandwidth, then seeding will 'eat into' your usage limits.

You can set a transfer limit (ie. 6.GB) by opening 'Preferences' (CTRL-P), navigating to 'Transfer Cap' and enabling (+configuring) the transfer cap to suit your needs.

Alternatively, you can prevent seeding by stopping the torrent. 

• 3 months later...

How does one set in preferences to stop seeding if they are not around when the download completes?

I am not trying to be selfish. I just got an email about copyright infringement from "someones" (not saying it's mine) computer seeding a show and now it has me concerned.

So please do not read this and think I am being ungrateful, I am just inquiring.

Thank you for your time and I apologize if this is off the original topic.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, i'm new to the forums and have no idea how to make my own page so i'm goin have to hitch hike onto this one!

so here's my question about seeding: i just changed my internet provider and as usual used bittorrent to for my work.. anyway i received an email about copyright infringement,

is this because i leave my torrent for seeding/uploads for other people

thanks

Archived