What Ratio Do You Seed Up To?

Bunberry

I couldn't find any other topics on this, but sorry if this is a duplicate or a ridiculously basic question.

BitTorrent just updated and changed my minimum share ratio to 200%, whereas previously it has always been 150%. This got me to wondering: what ratio should the average conscientious seeder go up to, and what do people here seed to, in practice?

Thanks!

Wow, over 100 views and no responses. I'll take that to mean there isn't any etiquette or generally accepted minimum seed ratio, beyond:

It is common courtesy to seed at least 1:1 so you are at least giving what you are taking.

So I'll probably start just seeding to 110% instead of 150%.

• 1 month later...

Hello! Just saw your post as I was searching around for how much pple usually seed.

Yea, I do agree with iBandit, but I believe in going further.. Especially since there are also quite a number of people around who don't seed enough. I just keep my torrents on and rotate them when seeding till I am satisfied or needed more disk space. (highest going @ 1400%) Doing this will also help to keep the torrent alive, and hopefully increase the speed of the people downloading.

Thanks for the reply, Charx!

Blimey, between you and iBandit that's a very wide spectrum. I need to keep the disk space free on my laptop, so I don't think I could keep them on for as long as you. I also worry that it might throw problems (legal or performance) up with my ISP if I uploaded too much...

ISP wise, the only problems for uploading would be if you broke your ISP's Terms of Use. You'll have to check with your ISP on that - I've heard some don't allow you to run 'servers' on their connections which often covers BitTorrent.

Performance-wise, BitTorrent has a new protocol called uTP that slows down automatically if the network is congested. So it shouldn't be a problem in general. It shouldn't affect your download speed because internet connections have dedicated bandwidth for each direction - they're full duplex.

Some ISPs throttle your upload anyway if they see you're using BitTorrent - mostly because they don't like it. Switching ports and enabling SSL can sometimes get around that. Try Googling the name of your ISP and 'BitTorrent' and see what comes up.

Share ratio wise, if you want to be a good samaritan, anything around 1 is fine - giving as much as you get. More than that doesn't matter unless you know there are few seeders or you have some other reason to want to contribute bandwidth to a particular swarm. There are no ratio-enforcement policies or cross-swarm benefits in BitTorrent unless you're using a Private Tracker.

AFAIK.

My current ratio is 37.6, or 3,760 %.     It would be higher but I move files around on my drives and lose torrent connection on them.   I have come to the forums to ask how I can redirect the link, so I can avoid that problem and seed more.      

My ratio goes higher than it used to because I have a new computer on which I can leave bittorrent open without a noticable degradation in performance; which is a problem that caused me to shut bittorrent off sometimes on my old computer.

150% is stingy.         What does it cost to let bittorrent run longer...a few pennies worth of electricity?     I think a little more gratitude for what you were given,  shown by helping others, would be nice.

EDITED: To correct ratio percentage as noted by Mr. Feit.

OldJones - thanks for the reply, I'll look into that stuff.

WellHungChung - I'm actively asking whether I should be giving more than I do, it's not about cost as I've explained, and some people have already said anything over 100% is fine anyway. Calling me stingy and ungrateful is unconstructive and rude.

• 3 months later...

WellHungChung - I'm actively asking whether I should be giving more than I do, it's not about cost as I've explained, and some people have already said anything over 100% is fine anyway. Calling me stingy and ungrateful is unconstructive and rude.

You deserve credit for asking about giving.

But I don't see where you explained about cost. 

I see that you refer in reply to a couple of posters whose posts do not appear.  

I see only one person that says 100% is fine.    Everybody is entitled to their opinion.   I think 1:1 is considered a bare minimum by some people.      There are, of course, no rules or obligations. 

I think you've read more into my post then was there. 

I commend you to The Second Agreement.

My current ratio is 56.56.   I find a discussion of  100% versus 110% versus 150% versus 200% as altogether niggardly.    That, of course, is just my opinion.    However, it is as good as any; and it's better than most. 

Take it for what it's worth.   Be thankful for that which thy receive.   Remember that the more everybody seeds, the more likely you are to find what you want, when you want it.    Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.   And if the shoe fits, wear it. 

I commend you to The Second Agreement.

Indeed, as Ruiz says in that chapter, "taking things personally makes you easy prey for these predators, the black magicians. They can hook you easily with one little opinion and feed you whatever poison they want, and because you take it personally, you eat it up." With that in mind, I'll wait for the opinion of someone who doesn't feel the need to come back almost four months later and insult me again.

If you put as much energy into seeding torrents as you do into thinking about seeding, wondering how little seeding you can ethically get away with, trying to avoid responsibility for your own apparent feelings of guilt for the aforementioned,  and playing some kind of "victim game", you'd probably have a 10x to 20x ratio by now, and you'd be bragging about it instead of trying to garner sympathy for some perceived insult. 

Archived