Moving a downloaded file back in to Seed again

Rocket101

I downloaded some torrents and found i was running out of space on my drive. So i moved some of them to an external HD. Now i have more space available I want to move a few of them back to Seed again. The original torrent files have been deleted but the folder structure of the original downloads is the same. When i move them back to the downloads folder Bit torrent client doesnt see them. Can i just go to File, Create a New Torrent and then Add Directory and choose the Folder that i originally downloaded? I did this and the file i wanted to seed reappeared and i choose Force Start, but i dont see anyone connecting to it even though it says its seeding. Have i gone about this in the correct way?

EDIT: Stoped and did a Forced Recheck on it but it still says Peers 0 of 72 connected and no upload activity on it. Is Forced Recheck supposed to check the file and make sure its fine for seeding? Am i missing something here? Surely its not just sitting there Seeding with noone connected to it?

What progress did the force re-check give you?

If it gave you 100%, you can resume it.

The force check completed without any obvious problem. I want to move a few more downloaded files im currently seeding to the external HD and back again in a few weeks to seed so is the procedure i did the correct one to use?

• 3 months later...

My issue is closely enough related to this one that I'll mention it here rather than starting a new thread - hope that's okay... trying to minimize unnecessary thread clutter <_<

I had a torrent which was stuck on 99% for months with no seeders.

I then found the exact same file being shared on another tracker, this time with an active seeder, but not enclosed in a folder as the first version had been.

I copied the file into the root folder where I usually save torrented files; then downloaded and activated the torrent. It completed successfully in a few minutes. Yay! So my own problem is solved, but then I want to help out on the first tracker and use the file to seed there also.

I copied the completed file back into the original subfolder where the first torrent was saving it to; and then did Stop > Force Recheck > Force Start. However, the Force Recheck still only went as far as 99% and then stopped - so it's not recognizing the file as being completed.

I would have assumed that there was some difference in the file, apart from the fact that it completed perfectly when I first copied the almost-completed file the other way.

So... are there any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, and how I might successfully resolve this and start seeding on the first tracker?

• 2 years later...

Hi Harold,  I'm using the current BT Mac v 7.4.2 but I think this is a problem on all platforms.  When a storage device becomes disconnected, all files lead with a red exclamation mark to indicated the error.  Reconnecting the drive and rebooting BitTorrent does not seem to reconnect the files.  The only way to bind the file to the torrent file is by Force Re-check.  WTF?

My issue involves thousands of completed downloads that seem to get their filename modified with an appended "upart".  In testing some files I've duplicated them and removed the "upart" from the end of the filename.  The Mac asks if I'm sure I want to make the change, and I click "yes".  Several of the media files seem to be fine, but I have noticed some have corrupted endings as it stops playing prematurely. WTF2?

These files were fully completed downloads that BitTorrent modified in order to re-check the hash consistency before seeding.  I saw your reply in a separate post claiming there was NO WAY to cancel a Re-check, and this seems like a serious flaw.

If a re-check must compare hashes with other seeds that are no longer available, then you file is held hostage indefinitely.  I can write a script to remove the “upart” from the filenames, but I need to know for sure if there is a possibility of file corruption.

To further my rant, BitTorrent should not state that the file is downloading when it is not.  Indicating that a full file is suddenly only 99% complete is not good.  This is the kind of thing that makes users want to jump ship for an open-source version.  BitTorrent has had plenty of time to improve these flaws.  I have not even found other complaints about this, is this the way it has to be?

Please tell me if I am missing something here.   -HypnoSync

Correction to my previous posting. The filename extension appended is actually ".utpart" and not "upart".  I'm sorry if my comments above offended anyone. I am a fan of the technology which adds to my frustration at times when I see obvious neglect.   I live in San Francisco and I have met BT creator Bram Cohen personally. Cheers!  -HypnoSync

Update: I had hoped to get some official feedback about the above stated flaw. I am happy to report that after my testing (on the Mac) I have been able to reclaim my hijacked files simply by stopping the "re-check" and renaming the file back to the way it was. More specifically removing the ".utpart" and freeing it of BitTorrent's grasp.  On the Mac you can simply select all the files and batch ctrl-click and select "Rename items", then replace ".utpart" with "nothing" and it will batch rename just the files that end with the unwanted utpart extension.

With as simple as it is for BitTorrent to change the filename of the files you "force re-check", there should be a simple way to cancel the re-check return your file to the way it was.  This seems like an obvious flaw that has been overlooked for many years. I wasted hours of my professional time on this issue, and the only thing I could find was Harold Feit stating that you simply can't cancel a re-check.  I can only imagine the difficulty for the average user. Shame..  Again, when you don't feel like a commercial corporation is responsive, you can always join and open-source project where you are more appreciated.  I just downloaded qBittorrent and I will see if they are more receptive to forward progress. Cheers!

Archived