Will It Hurt To Have Two Clients Going With Different Files?

lakawak

I know similar questions have been asked, but mine is differnet. I am not tryin to download the same file on two different clients hoping it will be faster. I know it won't be. My question is, could I have two clients running, each with a different set of torrents (one would always be seeding only), and have the stats be reported to the tracker normally?

Through a series of annoyances, I switched from utorrent to qbittorrent after utorren forced an upgrade o their crappy new verison and nothing I could do with fix the problems it caused. Every version I reinstalled would freeze after a few seconds. So I downloaded qbittorrent.

The problem is, I am seeding 300 files. And desptite follwing the steps that would supposedly allow me to have transferred them to the new client without having to download them again, it didn't work. I sucked it up and downloaded many of them again.

However, I have since realized the asinine way qbittorent handles DO NOT DOWNLOADS, where it creates full sized files in an "unwanted" folder. I had files where I downloaded 2 GB of files and it took up over 100 GB of my hard drive with stuff I didn't want.

So...I don't want to use qbittorrent anymore. However, I don't want to have to download those 300+ seeded files again. So...could I install another client and use that one solely for new torrents, while keeping the qbitorrent open just to seed the others? Or would that cause problems?

I followed the steps to import my torrents when I first installed qbittorrent, but it still didn't work. I tripled checked to make sure I was doing what it said and I was. I don't know if maybe the site that had the steps was wrong but for whatever reason, it didn't work.

As for bandwidth settings, what would I have to do? I currently have both set to use only a partial amount of my bandwidth anyway. About half of my total downaload and upload speeds. So would that be OK? Again, keep in mind that the one will never have anything downloading. and hte other won't even be on all that often. I don't plan on hitting and running new torrents but I also won't open it for no reasdon.

Thanks. Eventualy I do want ot just consolidate it but it is a bit of a pain, espiecally if I can't get the new client to recognize the already downloaded files. I can easily lower the upload max on the old client as they don't get a lot of leechers anyway. So it is good to know that I should be fine until I can finally figure out how to get the import to work properly

Archived