Possible Red Flags? Or Just Scared For No Reason?

Oceanwatcher

I just downloaded and installed Bleep. It is definitely something I would like to see getting further developed!

But two things gave me a little shock during installation:

I wanted to have access to my Google address book, so I needed to log on. BUT - Bleep did not use a custom browser or what I have set as the default browser. It actually used Internet Explorer! Is the whole Bleep interface running on top of Internet Explorer? If not, why did you not use my preferred browser?

I am on Windows 7.

Second: When I went on to check for contacts already using Bleep, I got just about every contact in my address book. First, it is a blatant lie. Even among the first 10 contacts, there were contacts I know 100% sure do not have Bleep installed. So this looks more like a spam attempt! So I ended up unchecking all and continue.

But these two things have me worried that Bleep is just another unsecure chat client instead of possible the best system out there...

Let me see if I can shed some light on these topics.

First off, Bleep is a native app. It uses IE to authenticate to Google oAuth (which is a standard web thing). While you may have a default browser set, your Windows Operating System incorporates IE in many ways. Keeping to this tried and trusted authentication allows Bleep to remain private and more secure.

Remember that you can always opt out of the Google address book function. You can add your contacts manually by clicking the + button. As for all Google contacts showing up, the first screen shows all of your contacts. We then ask you to let us check and see if anyone of your contacts are already on Bleep. We will then add the ones who are already on Bleep and show you the ones that aren't, so that you can invite them on the next screen. This turned out to be a bit confusing for some users so we are improving that flow in an upcoming release.

Hopefully this helps, and we appreciate you taking the time to write up your experience with Bleep.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded and installed Bleep. It is definitely something I would like to see getting further developed!

But two things gave me a little shock during installation:

I wanted to have access to my Google address book, so I needed to log on. BUT - Bleep did not use a custom browser or what I have set as the default browser. It actually used Internet Explorer! Is the whole Bleep interface running on top of Internet Explorer? If not, why did you not use my preferred browser?

I am on Windows 7.

Second: When I went on to check for contacts already using Bleep, I got just about every contact in my address book. First, it is a blatant lie. Even among the first 10 contacts, there were contacts I know 100% sure do not have Bleep installed. So this looks more like a spam attempt! So I ended up unchecking all and continue.

But these two things have me worried that Bleep is just another unsecure chat client instead of possible the best system out there...

They're apparently significantly against open source review of their code. So you may continue to be worried. 

Archived