BitTorrent 7.2.1

Firon

We've released BitTorrent 7.2.1 with several improvements over the previous 7.2 release. This should improve stability and performance.

Download it now!

Release Notes

• Reduce CPU usage
  • Fixed Wine support
  • Better support for atypical connections (such as VPNs) with Path MTU discovery
  • Fixed SOCKS proxy support
  • DHT security improvements

Changelog:

-- 2011-04-13: Version 2.2.1 (build 25202)

- Pioneer One episode 3 promo

-- 2011-03-30: Version 2.2.1 (build 25157)

- Change: added 'captive' promo

- Change: show red status icon if tracker goes down on private torrents regardless

- Fix: fixed an issue with the structure of the udp tracker announce packets

- Change: zenith promo

- Change: Add a 'no' option to the 'set download location' 'overwrite' case that allows just changing the locaiton.

- Fix: fixed edge case in OpenContainingFolder

- Fix: fixed memory leak in torrent refresh

- Fix: fixed reporting of speed test numbers in failure case

- Fix: fixed sidebar counter refresh when deleting torrents

- Fix: fixed some cases where the sidebar wouldn't be updated

- Change: Always show tray icon is always enabled to work around disappearing systray icon

- Change: enable incoming IPv6 on Windows 7 SP1 (SP1 fixes an IPv6-related hang bug introduced in Windows 7)

- add torrent crash fix

- Change: CPU usage optimization for the GUI thread

- Fix: create more space for strings in UI for translations

- Change: use 11 asterixes instead of 6 for hashed passwords in settings dialog (in the hope to reduce confusion)

- Fix: systray icon not showing up when starting up minimized, and systray icon is not always on

- Fix: don't delete files when 'download to' and 'move to' directories are the same

- Feature: Support apps bundled with torrent file and install when source column clicked

- Fix: fixed issue causing uTP to break

- Fix: fixed bug causing .!ut extensions to break

- Fix: uTP fast-resend bug

- Change: improve logging for pex flood events and average over more messages

- Feature: enable disk congestion logic when disk cache is turned off

- Fix: socks5 proxy error handling would sometimes cause a freeze and infinite loop

- Fix: don't fall back on browser to download RSS torrents when proxy is used and non proxied connections are disabled

- Fix: episode numbers are no longer limited to 2 digits in torrent list

- Fix: fix copy bug in list views (would sometimes fail top copy certain fields)

- Fix: crash when deleting a torrent file that was added via magnet link

- Change: don't update RSS feeds just by opening the edit window

- Fix: UDP tracker fix for tracker returning incorrect scrape responses

- Fix: frequent crash when opening the containing folder of a torrent

- Change: Run apps in standard mode (not IE7 compatibility mode)

- Fix: Remove erroneous scam MessageBox

- Fix: fixed gui.graph_overhead

- Change: limit cache size to 2000 MB (for 32 bit builds)

- Fix: attempt at fixing disappearing systray icon

- Fix: Copy and paste in File list view fixed. (ctrl-A, ctrl-C, ctrl-V)

- Fix: don't attempt to open a file if it doesn't exist (caused association dialog to appear)

- Change: only apply the port > 1023 for outgoing connection restriction for peers only hear about through the DHT

- Fix: back-ported proper support for disabling udp trackers from 3.0

- Fix: fix bug in UDP socks5 support which would cause infinite loops

- Fix: Use system call to open containing folder instead of launching explorer.exe (when available)

- Fix: Don't connect to ports < 1024 when no-connect-to-services is enabled (which it is by default)

- Fix: privacy checkbox in general settings would have multiline text

- Change: add port 80 and 443 to the default port block list

- Fix: fixed apps related (rare) crash bug

- Fix: crashbug in DHT (introduced by new rating feature)

- Fix: transparent background for play, source app and AV icons in torrent list

- Fix: be less strict when banning peers for PEX flood

- Fix: timer issues

- Fix: possible crash during autoupdate

- Fix: fixed IP filter bug where overlapping ranges would not be handled properly

- Fix: optimized CPU usage in GUI

- Fix: Find content item wasn't displaying properly on XP

- Fix: potential fix of disconnecting peers by "pex flood"

- Feature: DHT support for torrent rating (not user visible)

- Change: Only report a torrent as red because of tracker error if we don't have any peers

- Fix: Ctrl+C on columns copied data incorrectly

- Fix: make the torrent add dialog look better on low-dpi screens

- Feature: Add a uTP delay measurement graph

- Fix: skinning bug for tabs.bmp

- Fix: disable super verbose uTP logging

- Fix: dynamic upload slots now take overhead into account

- Fix: fixed uTP reply_micro initialization bug

- Fix: running under wine again

- Fix: store checked for updates too often

- Fix: don't auto-update apps when they are disabled

- Fix: re-binding udp sockets after closing preferences caused slowdown on Win 7

- Fix: fixed and tuned PMTU discovery for uTP

- Fix: search box flickers when it should be hidden

- Fix: fixed exploit with open containing folder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chris

My PC freezes after a few seconds when I start bittorrent.

I tried it a few times also with firewall and virusscanner off but it still freezes.

I read in the forum on this site someone saying updating his Windows worked for him, i tried it but that didn't work for me as well.

An other 'solution' of someone in the forum was to install an older version of bittorrent.

I installed v6.2 and everything works again without freezing my PC.

I'm using XP service pack 3

Greetings, Chris

Guest CincinnatiJim

My PC freezes after a few seconds when I start bittorrent. ... ... ...

I'm using XP service pack 3

Greetings, Chris

I use uTorrent & my mo-chine doesn't even know it is there.

Jim

Cincinnati, Ohia

Guest Birdy

New version is not working: when I search I'm directed to: www.bittorrent.com/returning-visitor

What's going on ?

How to resolve ?

Thanks!

Birdy

Guest edumiyagi

I have version 7.2.0. When I select the "check for update" option, it says that "there is no new version available". So, using 7.2.0 is not necessary to install 7.2.1?

Guest mahendra

7.2.1 freezes in my pc

7.2 was better

even the icon display has pixel breaks.

can anyone give me link to download v7.2 , (i have the setup of7.1)

Guest Angelfee

ive just installed 7.2.1 and the user interface wont open, when i try and open it again it says its already running, i rolled back to 7.2.0 and it worked fine so tried installing again and the same problem has happened.

Anyone else come across this problem yet?

Guest Denis

7.2.1 freezes in my pc7.2 was bettereven the icon display has pixel breaks.can anyone give me link to download v7.2 , (i have the setup of7.1)

Send e-mail address and I will upload Bittorent 7.2 to you via e-mail

denrob37@ct.metrocast.net

Guest guest_dt

I installed 7.2.1, start downloads and after about 5-7minutes my machine BSOD with an IO NET error. Tried the following:

- changed from n+ wireless to g wireless

- changed to hardwire, wireless turned off

- changed to 1 download stream to try and see if contention in traffic

I never had any issue like this with other versions. My other apps have no issue with the network at all.

Running Windows 7 Professional-64bit please post link to the earlier versions. As for security holes, I am sorry but BSOD my machine is not a great protection. I can live with the little risk please....

Running the last version 7.2.1. Stil no bugs there. Also, my download speed is higher than in uTorrent, or older BitTorrent builds. I notice one thing, in every second, the ram memory used by this software, is cleaning themselves in every second while downloading.

That's a very good progress. Good job BitTorrent team!

Guest guest_dt

I installed 7.2.1, start downloads and after about 5-7minutes my machine BSOD with an IO NET error.

I wanted to follow-up on this, I downloaded 7.2 and this works much better on my particular system. I am hoping one of the developers will see this post and be able to diff the code between versions to see how this issue may have occured. I have to agree with the other poster, I was getting higher transfer rates with the 7.2.1 but it the BSOD made it unusable unfortunately.

Looking forward to see updates to this and new versions.

Thanks

I wanted to follow-up on this, I downloaded 7.2 and this works much better on my particular system. I am hoping one of the developers will see this post and be able to diff the code between versions to see how this issue may have occured. I have to agree with the other poster, I was getting higher transfer rates with the 7.2.1 but it the BSOD made it unusable unfortunately.

Looking forward to see updates to this and new versions.

Thanks

Which version of Microsoft Windows do you have installed?

Guest Bring Back 7.2.0

I installed 7.2.1, start downloads and after about 5-7minutes my machine BSOD with an IO NET error. Tried the following:

I never had any issue like this with other versions. My other apps have no issue with the network at all.

Running Windows 7 Professional-64bit please post link to the earlier versions. As for security holes, I am sorry but BSOD my machine is not a great protection. I can live with the little risk please....

Guest Bring Back 7.2.0

I agree with others here. 7.2.0 was stable whereas 7.2.1 causes a core dump after a short period.

Running Windows 7 Professional-64bit with latest updates from MS installed.

Please provide a link to 7.2.0 so we can re-install.

Guest Guest

I want my green Bittorent icon back!!! Purple is such an ugly colour! Why, oh, why, did it have to be purple?! :angry:

Can you guys make it so that you can at least choose a green icon? Please? Really pretty please? I'm begging you!

Guest Hooman

I successfully update version 7.2 to 7.2.1 and it works nice, thanks; But Where can I download Help (.chm) file for 7.2.1 version? when I use F1 key nothing happen and no help file download!

It sounds like there's a problem with your network drivers. What wireless card do you have? Have you tried updating its drivers yet?

A BSOD can only be caused by a bug in the driver itself, due to the way Windows works.

Guest Faisal Khan

when adding a ".torrent file" i select a file to download and deselect other file/s (so that i dont want to download them) , if i pause the download , in the background , the deselected file also gets downloaded , how do i avoid this ?

Archived