Occomsdk.dll Found During Build 41373 Installation

rvail317

During installation of latest BitTorrent 7.9.5 build 41373, a virus warning pop-up from Avira appeared.

Portion of contents recorded within the .log file:

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Starting the file scan:
Begin scan in 'C:\Windows\Temp\HYD5B9B.tmp.1448027612\HTA\3rdparty\OCComSDK.dll'
[iNFO] RepairMalware: Disinfection of malware PUA/OpenCandy.Gen needs a reboot to complete
[iNFO] RepairMalware: Disinfection of malware PUA/OpenCandy.Gen needs a reboot to complete
C:\Windows\Temp\HYD5B9B.tmp.1448027612\HTA\3rdparty\OCComSDK.dll
[DETECTION] Contains patterns of software PUA/OpenCandy.Gen
[NOTE]The file was moved to the quarantine directory under the name '1911c588.qua'!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The installer was downloaded from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bittorrent.html

Note: the installer was still able to complete, and after system re-boot: seems to be functioning normally.

Comments?

• 1 month later...

Since our company name is being slandered here I must defend myself. We don't add anything third party, never had. I know some download sites do, but we have never done it and believe me, we lost a lot of money by not doing it. BitTorrent, however, does at this time install two third party programs as clearly seen in the screenshots with "Recommended By BitTorrent". 

bittorrent%202.jpg

bittorrent.jpg

We don't provide support for versions downloaded from 3rd party sites.

You said it yourself, some sites DO add full on malware installers to downloads they offer.

The main reason we don't provide support for versions downloaded from 3rd party sites is that people usually download old versions from those sites and complain about bugs that have been fixed in recent versions.

Archived