Stuck on "Connecting to Peers"

Fabio156

Hello. I just downloaded BitTorrent and added a torrent. It started downloading metadata and stayed on "Connecting to peers".

I tried with other torrents from other sites but I got the same result. I already tried to change VPN, but it still doesn't download.

How can I solve?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,
Not hijacking....nearly exact same problem... so another data point
- no, does not work w/o vpn for me... that's why I signed up for one.
- vpn has endpoints in US and Canada, neither worked for p2p (but email and internet do work)
- comcast subscriber, if that is an issue
- tried several current (mods within the last week) lists of trackers... all of them show timeout or hostname not found
- tried an old completed torrent with and without new tracker list... same situation
- no, slackware torrent using http://tracker1.transamrit.net:8082/announce (1,2,3) shows "offline(timed out)"

is it time to get paranoid????

one more point... all 3 torrents I mentioned above, show 2 peers in the [local peer discovery] line under the Trackers tab... everything else is 0, and no peers connect under the Peers tab.

annnnnnd, the short answer is "nevermind"... 

Somehow, in a fog, while turning off ads, etc, in the advanced settings, I had checked vpn.dark_mode, which seems to have no description, or help, or any info at all... I assume I was thinking I needed it set in order to run through a vpn.... WRONG.  All is seems to do is prevent you from seeing any connections whether open or through a vpn.

That's why there is a warning not to mess with the advanced settings!!!  Moral: Don't touch "vpn.dark_mode".

sigh, sorry

OTOH, the OP may not have noticed a small yellow triangle at the bottom right of the status bar which indicates no incoming connections and clicking on it will run a network speed and connection test... That may help isolate the problem. 

OR, the box "add windows firewall exception" may not be checked in the Options/connections menu...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured this out yet? Same issue here. Stuck on connecting to peers and I'm not a tech guy so I can't just trouble shoot it myself. DHT is waiting for log in,  IDK what to do. Always worked fine for over a year, Ive changed nothing. What went wrong? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Harold Feit said:

If the slackware torrents do not work, you have something in your setup blocking.

If you require the VPN, then the vpn provider you're using is blocking torrenting.

I don't know how to do or what slackware is, and I've tried without my VPN and still nothing. I tried under a hotel wifi while working out of town and still nothing. So I don't think anyone is blocking it. I'll try to figure out how to do a screen shot and post it.

Well, No problem you can ask any time about torrenting and P2P websites because it is my favorite subject.

The thing is P2P sharing software or Bittorrent clients require specific port forwards because windows Firewall blocks any suspicious activity or ports which it deems potentially harmful. But you can allow trustworthy ports through router to bypass firewall restrictions. But, do not forget to use the best torrent VPN it will encrypt your peer to peer connection.

Here is a complete guide how peer to peer file sharing works. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/p2p-peer-peer-file-sharing-works/

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 2:13 PM, peterbuttler said:

The thing is P2P sharing software or Bittorrent clients require specific port forwards because windows Firewall blocks any suspicious activity or ports which it deems potentially harmful. But you can allow trustworthy ports through router to bypass firewall restrictions. But, do not forget to use the best torrent VPN it will encrypt your peer to peer connection.

My ISP had the VPN blocked and port forwarding didn't work as well. I had to change my ISP to circumvent the issue.

Archived