Become a part of the community today! Registration is quick and easy and will enable you to post, send personal messages, and join in on the chat! It's as simple as clicking on the links above.

Project Chrysalis Update: Alpha Release

• Page 1 of 3
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 Firon

Firon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

Since we first announced Project Chrysalis last November, we’ve been grateful for the support of the BitTorrent community. From the start, you embraced the vision of an easier, more streamlined and intuitive client.

Now, we’re asking for your help. Help to make the Chrysalis client everything you want and need. Because today, we just released the very first alpha version of the new client.

Please download it, kick the tires for a few days, and then tell us what’s right and wrong, what works and what doesn’t, and what’s missing.

As with any test alpha, there are a few known issues we’re still ironing out. The build is also far from feature-complete. Many favorite new features have not yet been turned on…expect them to roll out in the coming weeks/months.

Please only download the alpha if you are an active user and looking to provide feedback. It’s not yet ready for beginners. A Windows PC is required, running IE 8. The alpha is only available in English.

If you download it and would like to switch back to your old BT client, click here.

Building a new product from scratch is a daunting process. And make no mistake…while all the power of the original BitTorrent Mainline remain at the core, Project Chrysalis is a true metamorphosis of features and style.

We really (really!) appreciate your feedback and ideas. Thanks for giving us a hand. – we look forward to hearing from you.

#2 brewer

brewer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks everything is good so far, even speeds seem faster then utorrent and older bittorrent, new ui is very clean, one suggestion is add a number on the my files icon for the number of active torrents.

#3 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thanks everything is good so far, even speeds seem faster then utorrent and older bittorrent, new ui is very clean, one suggestion is add a number on the my files icon for the number of active torrents.

Thanks Brewer. Duly noted... We will be adding a badge on the "My Files" icon with the number of active downloads on the upcoming Beta client. As you mentioned, it is an obviously necessary device to confirm any download requests, and to allow you keep an eye for when your content is ready. Keep giving us feedback as we improve!

#4 Guest_Erick_*

Guest_Erick_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

Very simple and accessible interface - it's good!

Thank you for your work.

#5 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Very simple and accessible interface - it's good!

Thank you for your work.

Thanks Erick for your words of encouragement. We are certainly trying... We will keep refining in the weeks/months ahead. So don't be shy to point flaws or areas of improvement.

#6 eddybeef

eddybeef

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

Maybe you should put a link to download the alpha version here. I know im off topic but hey.

#7 Guest_Guspaz_*

Guest_Guspaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

Does this mean that uTorrent is going to eventually be discontinued? I think that extra simplicity to make BitTorrent more accessible is a great thing, but it's not for everybody; power users appreciate that uTorrent is light but powerful, and I think it will have a place alongside Chrysalis, rather than being replaced by it.

#8 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

Does this mean that uTorrent is going to eventually be discontinued? I think that extra simplicity to make BitTorrent more accessible is a great thing, but it's not for everybody; power users appreciate that uTorrent is light but powerful, and I think it will have a place alongside Chrysalis, rather than being replaced by it.

That is right Guspaz... There is no plans to discontinue µTorrent. We are just diversifying our offerings to reach different demographics and user cases.

#9 Guest_MikeN_*

Guest_MikeN_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

It's good to see that Bittorrent is not dead. It seemed that utorrent had more attention in the past. In my case there is only one wish... if you could please get ride of that "Disk overload" thing it would be great. Good luck!

#10 bitdemon311

bitdemon311

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

Do u guys offer a 64bit version or does it not make a difference. I know I sound like a newbie but I was just curious.

#11 Guest_Nitin_*

Guest_Nitin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Since we first announced Project Chrysalis last November, we’ve been grateful for the support of the BitTorrent community. From the start, you embraced the vision of an easier, more streamlined and intuitive client.

Now, we’re asking for your help. Help to make the Chrysalis client everything you want and need. Because today, we just released the very first alpha version of the new client.

Please download it, kick the tires for a few days, and then tell us what’s right and wrong, what works and what doesn’t, and what’s missing.

As with any test alpha, there are a few known issues we’re still ironing out. The build is also far from feature-complete. Many favorite new features have not yet been turned on…expect them to roll out in the coming weeks/months.

Please only download the alpha if you are an active user and looking to provide feedback. It’s not yet ready for beginners. A Windows PC is required, running IE 8. The alpha is only available in English.

If you download it and would like to switch back to your old BT client, click here.

Building a new product from scratch is a daunting process. And make no mistake…while all the power of the original BitTorrent Mainline remain at the core, Project Chrysalis is a true metamorphosis of features and style.

We really (really!) appreciate your feedback and ideas. Thanks for giving us a hand. – we look forward to hearing from you.

#12 Guest_Wold_*

Guest_Wold_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Would the Chrysalis switch to IE9 when it's announced and would there be support for other OS? How about using the core from WebKit instead of IE?

Keep up the good work!

#13 Guest_erbia_*

Guest_erbia_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

A guide to running where we find?
How to create a torrent?

#14 Guest_erbia_*

Guest_erbia_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

Guide found here ! B)

#15 Cristian

Cristian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

The new UI is so cute. I have some suggestions to improve the new UI and the functionality of this awesome client.

Look at my screen shoot.

Posted Image

#16 Guest_Binay_*

Guest_Binay_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

Is it just mine, or you cannot really prioritize the files in the torrent?

#17 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Is it just mine, or you cannot really prioritize the files in the torrent?

You are right Binay... Not in this Alpha version as we are targeting new users. We may reassess later on.

#18 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

The new UI is so cute. I have some suggestions to improve the new UI and the functionality of this awesome client.

Look at my screen shoot.

Posted Image

Interesting suggestions Nazmuler77 ... Your drop-down may obscure search box when deployed though, but the idea reminds me of the Microsoft Word menu and it had some challenges with discoverability (like quickly finding "Options") We may look into it as we move forward and we find ourselves in search of room for added functionality. Thanks for the feedback!

#19 Cristian

Cristian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Ok, I have some new suggestions. Look at my screen shoots.

Posted Image
Posted Image

And I found a bug. When I use the new BitTorrent 8.0, my RAM memory is full (look at the last screen shoot, in left corner, down).

#20 Cristian

Cristian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

Some new news about BitTorrent 8.0?

• Page 1 of 3