Become a part of the community today! Registration is quick and easy and will enable you to post, send personal messages, and join in on the chat! It's as simple as clicking on the links above.

Indirect transfer idea

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hey there!

I have a question and am suggesting a topic for chat here.

It is possible to exchange file without actually exchanging the file. This is a maths I discovered a couple years ago and am continuing to study.

So, let me outline the idea and perhaps you may give some feedback. I look forward to feedback. It would be good to be rich but it is also important to do good.

It seems to me that people have throughout time and are going to, share information as part of human society. We all do it and so I submit that as a given.

When it comes to file sharing it seems to me that people violate laws because they are transmitting data which makes up a given file. That actual patterns of bits are sent that directly represent a file.
So to exchange data we send a copy but what if we didn't need to send a copy of the data but only need to send instructions for constructing the file?
By this I suggest there is some file being sent but it is separate from the source file in that it is instructions to do a thing and not the actual binary data of the file. I call this Indirect Transfer Protocol or ITP. Then only when an end user decides to construct some data from those instructions are there actual issues.
This might take the burden off of the downloader because up to the point of constructing some file that has copyright the act of exchanging the information of how to construct such a file is not the file itself.
In the United States I believe this qualifies as free speech but I am not a student of law so I yield that point.

1.) would sharing instructions and not the actual file free people from arrest?
2,) Is this a crazy idea or a bright one?

Okay, I'm sure I could have been clearer but we can sort it out in chat.
I'm interested in applying some maths I know of and I see a possible benefit for billions of people as well as myself perhaps.

I open the conversation and will monitor until I post I am not monitoring.

Thank you for you time.

Ernst0

#2 Harold Feit

Harold Feit

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

1> Given what people are getting arrested for, no.
2> Crazy and not the good kind.

In addition to the problems in dealing with writing the protocol from the ground up, you have to take into consideration the number of users that either are unwilling or unable to follow directions properly.

#3 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

1> Given what people are getting arrested for, no.
2> Crazy and not the good kind.

In addition to the problems in dealing with writing the protocol from the ground up, you have to take into consideration the number of users that either are unwilling or unable to follow directions properly.

Thanks. Let me follow up on your opinion. I appreciate the feedback.

1._ What aspect of not downloading the actual file would this not change and how would people still be arrested or more simply "caught."

2.) Second, I'm questioning your second opinion in light of technical merit. What aspect or aspects do you find "not the good kind."

If you feel like it you may state what you understood from the original post. Also I do not know you so if you like you can share a bit about yourself for me as well.

Thanks

#4 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Addition :

I was watching a YouTube video on cryptographic process via the Google series.

I understand that encryption is a crime is China, Saudi Arabia and some others as well. Perhaps this conceptual protocol could be considered encryption?

This is another aspect I am interested in the opinions of others on.

#5 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

The idea of this indirect transfer protocol is simple enough there Harold Feit.

However, people do not like change so I can see your point of people not following some method. It's just that avoiding being busted for file transfer seems to be an advance not a detrement.

Are there any tech savy people here? Any designers or programmers? I am interested in their opinions as well.

Are their other forums that this topic would fit in?

#6 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Well, it has been a few days for Mr. Feit and I conclude it was simply a "hit and run" post.

So, I open the conversation again.

To review : There is a method of sharing files that are not the actual "target data" but define how to construct the "target data."
It is not encoding or encrypting the source data. It's instructions on creating data rather than the actual data.

I'm interested in your opinion on this.

If one isn't downloading the actual file can they be arrested or sued for downloading a file?
Wouldn't it be free speech like it is if one has a book telling us how to do some thing like build a bomb for example?

Isn't it legal to have the information on making a bomb but making one is illegal?

#7 Harold Feit

Harold Feit

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Honestly, it's not something that should be discussed on a client-specific forum. It should be discussed in a venue better suited to such low-level design ideas.

#8 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Honestly, it's not something that should be discussed on a client-specific forum. It should be discussed in a venue better suited to such low-level design ideas.

Thank you for replying.

This is the off topic forum yes? Please clarify.

Also if Mr. Bram Cohen is reading please check your Facebook Email.

If there is a URL better suited, Mr, Feit, please share it with me.

------

#9 Guest_Ernst0_*

Guest_Ernst0_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Well friends..

This may not bare fruit.

So I am not monitoring this thread from today on. Perhaps I can check back but this is not a priority.

I can imagine File-Sharing where no one gets busted because they are not stealing by downloading. I think the "make-example-of" system of punishing a few for the data-crimes of the world needs to change.

Anyway, Thank you all and this site for the forum.

Ernst0

#10 Guest_Esparati_*

Guest_Esparati_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Isn't downloading a file FUNDAMENTALLY,sending instructions to build it ?