Multiple downloads simple question

Guest RedShadoww

Guest RedShadoww

I'm torrenting a folder with multiple videos and even though its only at about 10%, i go into the folder and see all the videos each have the full amount of MB they're suppose to have. I clicked on the first vid but it freezes up at random times with the audio skipping too. So I'm guessing its downloading all of them at the same time. Also as a side note, the stream option doesn't work with it because it needs a certain video player.

1)How do set it to download each one individually? Preferably without having to restart the download.

2)Could starting a video while it was downloading corrupt the file in some way?

3)Does Uploading make Downloading slower?

1> You really can't.

2> it COULD.

3> ONLY if you're uploading too much or too little for your connection's rated speed. If you're uploading in the sweet spot for your connection (usually at about 80% of your line's rated upload speed) you actually download faster.

• 4 weeks later...

I am only a beginner so I might be wrong but I have used BitTorent enough that I hope I can help.

In answer to the first part, this is fundamental to how torrents work. The way that torrents work makes it impossible to do what you are hoping to do. Torrents download peices at a time and each peice must be an unspecified peice in terms of where it goes. Files would download much slower if they were downloaded in the manner you are hoping they do.

In answer to the second part, the problem with starting a video while it is downloading is that you could easily cause the download to stop. That happened to me. The download (apparently) needs exclusive access and if you are trying to view the file while the file is still being downloaded then BitTorrent will not like that. If that happens then just restart the download but I suggest waiting until the download completes. If the download is very slow and you just must have a look, then pause the download, look, then restart the download.

Some software might try to fix a file that appears corrupt and a partially downloaded file would appear corrupt so if the software attempts to fix the partially downaloaded file then that could result in a mess.

Archived