BitTorrent 7.6.1 - Not Responding

wildbella

Guest ullikhan

Hi guys,

I do experience the same problem since upgrading to the latest version, BUT I did switch from utorrent because the same happened there. I was running on older version of utorrent just fine but decided to upgrade today. As soon as the upgrade was finished the problems started.

Running on Windows XP

4 GB RAM

Maybe this helps,

Ulrich

Guest Donneperth

I 'upgraded' as well.

Now: 'Bit torrent is not responding'. Piece of crap.

Switching to utorrent to see how that goes. So much for the 'upgrade'. The old program worked fine. If its not broke, then dont fix it!!

I happened to still have the 7.6 installed downloaded. Once I reinstalled that version bit torrent ran properly as usually. Certainly version specific.

Guest Inglorious Bastard

For me it happens after I've added some torrents. I'll go to add another and BT freezes (not responding). When I close the program Windows tells me it's not responding or it says to close all other BT processes and I close it anyway and of course Windows wants to send an error report. I lose torrents added since opening the program. So I have to go back and re-add them. I haven't bothered to look to see if when BT crashes if it also deletes the files it downloaded before the crash.

I can leave it up and running all day with no problems until I try to add more torrents. Nothings worked to eliminate the problem and uTorrent does the same thing! That's even after uninstalling the program, cleaning the registry and reinstalling. Wtf, use to be a great program. I'm running Windows 7 yada, yada, yada. Don't think it's a problem with the computer. It's a computer for Christ's sake! Haven't had this problem before with multiple programs and nobody seems to have an answer.

I don't think conforming to a crash is a solution. To only download two at a time is ridiculous. I should be able to download fifty! Wtf, and yes I've shut off anti-virus (another bad idea) and limited everything down to just the program and Windows and still does the same thing. Wtf!

How bout you developers eliminate this bug or people are just gonna move on which is what I'm doing!

• 1 month later...
Guest Philippe

I am having the same problem, switched to uTorrent, which looks like the same thing anyway and that seems to work much better.

I was a big fan of BT, but the latest version is just no good.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to the pile. I have the exact same problem. Worked without a hitch in previous versions but with 7.6.1 it constantly freezes up on me. Very annoying.

I have to kill the process and restart. Then it has to make a check of all torrents before being able to resume. Time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been using bittorrent for the last couple of years and have had minimal issues with it. A couple of days ago I up graded as requested, and since then the program constantly freezes/not responding within seconds of starting.

I have tried

1) turning the firewall off - worked for about an hour then froze

2) disabled virus protection - no change

3) changed virus protection from Avast to Kaspersky - no change

4) deleted settings.dat and settings.dat.old - worked for about 5min

5) restarted the computer - no change

6) I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program - worked for 10min then "not responding"

I have cable internet, the icon in the bottom right hand corner of bittorrent is a green tick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have been suddenly having the problem and a couple of people have hit the nail on the head, but the problem is, I think, actually two fold. The error happens when you have

A.) some very LARGE torrent files and

B.) when you have a LOT of torrents in queue.

I started looking at what was happening in the background and in almost every case, it seems that when I parsed my list of torrents down to a minimal list, then every thing worked. I also discovered that if you are downloading via magnet and do not have a torrent file, if you force a file to start, then stop it and then look in %appdata%/bittorrent/ you will find that it creates the actual torrent that you can then copy to another location, delete your torrent in your list and start it at your leisure.

Yes. I know. A HUGE amount of extra work, but I find that this problem happens in almost every torrent client out there right now. I think it has something to to with the way most torrent clients are coded in the "windows" environment.

Transmission does the same thing in Windows, but not in Linux. Oddly, bittorrent doesn't exhibit the same behavior when I run it in Virtualbox on my Linux machine. This is my emperical evidence that it is in the coding and the way it is grabbing memory.

I am having the same problem, and i want to thank everyone for their advice but i paid for bit torrent plus and i guess i feel like i shouldn't have to only download one torrent at a time, i feel that what would help me was to solve the problem fully and not these crisis driven solutions....

• 4 years later...

hello there i have the same problem today when i started bittorrent it`s not responding i tried all the thing that google provide me in order for the program to work but nothing , cand u help me somebody ? i tried the compability thing , unistall intall it , upgrade downgrade it nothing works....

1 hour ago, florin s said:

hello there i have the same problem today when i started bittorrent it`s not responding i tried all the thing that google provide me in order for the program to work but nothing , cand u help me somebody ? i tried the compability thing , unistall intall it , upgrade downgrade it nothing works....

Same here... It is not connecting to the internet...

Archived