• Announcements

• GreatMarko

Forum Upgrades   01/29/2016

Hi Folks,   As you may have noticed if you're a regular visitor to our forums, things look a little different as our forums have just undergone a significant upgrade and now have a fresh new look!  We're aware that there are one or two little "niggles" with the upgrade that still need ironing out, but we're on the case, and normal service will be resumed shortly!   In the meantime, if you've got a problem with a BitTorrent product, but are unable to post about it in the forums, you can also find support via the following links: BitTorrent Client Help Center BitTorrent Sync Help Center BitTorrent Bundle Help Center BitTorrent Bleep Help Center   Thank you for your patience as we work to improve your forum experience! UPDATE: 1st Feb - We're currently investigating issues with notifications - earlier issues that may have been preventing some users from logging in have now been resolved. UPDATE: 2nd Feb - Looking for the BitTorrent Sync forums? They've moved to http://forum.getsync.com (you can use your existing BitTorrent forum credentials to login)
Doğukan Çil

Extremely Slow Torrent Speeds

8 posts in this topic

I'm experiencing incredibly slower than usual download speeds when using Bittorrent.

All of this seemed to start when i started messing with the bandwidth options.

It's currently like this ;

Global Maximum of Connections : 800

Maximum Number of Connected Peers per torrent : 500

Number of Upload Slots : 40

I tried lowering those numbers as i know it works when using low bandwidth , no luck... didn't help.

net.max_halfopen is 1000

I also tried forcing encryption or simply enabling it without any success regarding download speeds.

It's currently "Forced"

Maximum number of active torrents : 57

Maximum number of active downloads : 57

UPNP and NAT-PMP port mapping are disabled , i forwarded a port from my router and i used a big number it's currently : 17,000 (TCP,UDP)

I even tried to enable port mapping although i forwarded my own , again i failed to achieve higher download speeds.

Transfer Cap is disabled.

Bittorrent is in my firewall exceptions. (Although windows firewall is disabled , my desperate attempts...)

Bittorrent is in my AVG firewall exceptions.

I disabled then uninstalled AVG believing it to be the source of the problem. Nope , it's not.

I even thought of disk caching , maybe the disk somehow gets overloaded and i forwarded my new downloads to my other hard disk which is connected via SATA2 port. (Others were usb)

Still i couldn't make any difference.

I gave a manual cache size of 800 mb/s to see if only Bittorrent thinks it's overloading.

No , it doesn't and My Hard Disk is not throttling my download speeds.

Should you require options from The Advanced Tab , give me the entry and i shall copy one here.

I'm using 50 mbps fiber connection and usually cannot exceed 180 kilobytes per second when downloading.

Also it takes a lot of time to connect to the peers , usually in small-swarmed torrents it only connects to only 4 out of 50 peers.

I choose my torrents well generally seeds/peers ratio does not go below 1.200 so the torrent i mentioned had around 60-70 seeds.

In larger swarms it connects to over 400 seeds and around 200-300 peers and downloading with a speed like 180 kb...

I'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Thanks in advance...

Your connection settings are VERY bad, even for your connection. Turn down the number of active torrents.

You are trying to open 28,500 connections when you have an 800 connection limit. Simply put, it doesn't work.

Additionally, having 500 connections per torrent will eat a LOT of your internet line's available bandwidth with protocol overhead. Reduce the connections down to 50-70. You don't need more than that to max your line.

How much would you recommend i put in global maximum of connections , considering my bandwidth ?

And i didn't know about 28,500 connections i thought when i put 800 i open up 800 connections as the global maximum suggests.

I'm gonna try it out now

Thanks for the help.

My torrents dont seem to be downloading anymore.. its at a complete stand still and they dont even start downloading, at the bottom where it says DHT. it says waiting to log in constantly and never changes anymore...

anyone please help

getting disk overload whle downloading ...how to fix....build is 7.6-(26730)

Disk overload , when simply put ; Insufficient bandwidth on the hard disk.

Something is eating up your hard disk's bandwidth.

Find that process and terminate using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

If that's not the case and you're completely sure that your hard disk has plenty of free bandwidth , then try assigning a disk cache size manually. (Preferences/Advanced/Disk Cache , click "Override automatic disk caching..." and assign 100 MBs to it.)

This may help.

Good Luck.