Become a part of the community today! Registration is quick and easy and will enable you to post, send personal messages, and join in on the chat! It's as simple as clicking on the links above.

Wishlist (Archive)

Whishlist

• Page 3 of 41
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
813 replies to this topic

#41 dearnold

dearnold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Great, thank you!

It would be nice to have a way to share the secrets in an easier way while avoiding e-mail transmission.

QR code?

or at least format the secret in blocks of 4 or five character?

I don't have the solution, but TheSnowman's comment resonates with me. The idea that "secrets" have to be sent by e-mail in order to get a new sync set up seems like an oxymoron to me. I'm just starting to work with the app, so maybe I don't understand secrets yet (in fact, I still don't understand the layers of secrets and how many secrets I'll end up with). Unless there is a way to select only certain sub-folders in a larger folder, I'll end up with many syncs. Does that mean that each one folder gets a unique set of secrets? How does one manage them?

I've read the User Guide and will continue reading posts here to learn about the secret process. Please make the discussion/description of "Secret" much more user-friendly. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but this part of SyncApp is baffling.

#42 TheQuank

TheQuank

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Howdy all!! I've got a feature I'd love to see...

I have one computer at my home and three at my office. When I go to share a file frome home, it tries to upload it once to each computer at my office, (unless one (or more) is off of course). I'd love for the software to be smart enough to realize my three office computers are on the same LAN and to only download the file over the WAN from my house once, then sync it "locally".

Thoughts anyone? THANKS!
  • ovonder, alfredo and Argeman like this

#43 hatedropbox

hatedropbox

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

I agree that shadow copying is a must. With this enabled, there is no need to enable windows' own shadow copying, which essentially will create redundency. Also, windows' own shadow copying is done only once per day at max. frequency (disappointing for someone who need every version within a single day). What I am concerned about is my syncTrash folder is growing exponentially - can there be some smart algorithm that doesn't simply just lump all of the previous versions altogether, but rather distinguish the INCREMENTAL changes? This can save tons of space. Not sure if Windows' native shadow copy uses this technology but that will really be fantastic. Also, since the box of "put deleted file into synctrash" is checked by default, user should be somehow made more aware that the trash are hidden and THEY ARE ACTUALLY SITTING THERE AND CONSUMING SPACE - otherwise they may be wondering why the folder is building itself into a ridiculous space-hog. The incremental-smart algorithm will also come handy when it comes to up/download. Say I copy a file in one folder and the app actually upload the copy and redistribute it to peers - but is it really needed? Can it just look around and say - hey let's compare this file to the neighbor. And then it just order other peer to simply copy it as well. This will cost minimal bandwith, but at the cost of more CPU - which I would rather trade in.

Also, the tick/wheel icon attached to file icon universal to dropbox/skydrive/etc indicating if the file is in sync or synced is missing here. That's a must. Progress bar is also helpful, as many suggest, especially for large files this will reassure user how soon it can be finished.

At last, the current version still have renaming problems - hope this basic functional issue can be resolved. If user cannot even depend on the most basic function, then how can they count on the fancier stuffs?

Edited by GreatMarko, 24 May 2014 - 08:39 PM.
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum.

#44 hatedropbox

hatedropbox

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

I did a comparison with AeroFS, which just came out earlier this month to masse. They have versioning but only the most recent version. They hide all of the versioning files in a hidden folder in the same directory where AeroFS folder is located. Therefore I don't think they are smart enough like Dropbox who claims to have the incremental algorithm. Maybe we can do some sort of byte-stream profile matching? Just some thoughts :-|

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:35 AM.
"Versioning" has since been added to Sync. You'll find enumerated versions of files within .SyncArchive

#45 diestel

diestel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

The app I was looking for! Thanks.

Things I would like to see on the feature list:
a ) copying files instead of fully transmitting them (for example a file B, which is a copy of file A, which has been transmitted.)
b ) only retransmission of changed chunks of a changed file, not the whole file.

c ) the most important feature for me is decentral bootstrapping on the Internet. What does it mean? Think of following scenario:
1) A device goes online and is configured to look at predifined hosts to connect to the swarm. The predifed host is a DDNS link. Now there are two possible scenarios:
2a) The DDNS link is recent and valid and the device can connect to a peer and to the swarm.
2b) The entry is old and the connection fails. Now, the device assumes that it is the first online peer of the swarm and deposits its own IP address at the DDNS entry.
Any new online device will try to connect to the predefined host and will end up in 2a).

Necessary for that is, that the peer can find out its public IP address behind a NAT and the ability to update a DDNS entry.

This solution implements everybodies own tracker and it is absolutely private.

#46 jesper

jesper

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

I suggest possibility to create a special secret key for folder in SyncApp, with such a feature:

This key will be enough to sync with remote folder, but will not to decrypt the data it contains. So it will be possible to make safe/always online "servers" in places which you do not really 100% trust. (for example at work).

Other "peers" with full secret key will still has ability to download data and open/decrypt it.

I would like to be able to have multiple backup servers, but each of them should only store part of the synced share, maybe it doesnt have the hdd space required to host the entire share.
Secondly it would be nice if one of the backup servers could be set as a master server for a specific synced share. Only so it could tell the other servers when to drop files etc. But the backup servers should never have access to the decrypted data itself.

This should result in multiple families can give say 10gb backup storage to another family. And that way make easy off-site backups.

#47 scegg

scegg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

If possible, separate the key into private and public keys. By adding some signing file, provides different permission (full control or read only) on the shared folder.

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:38 AM.
The ability to have "full control" or just "read only" shares has since been introduced

#48 moonboon

moonboon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

New in the Alpha.
I have seen the request for a "true" portable solution.. To go along with that for my needs I could see it being quite beneficial to be able to run a commandline to get a machine into the stream.

ie: BTSync.exe -readonlysharedsecret -foldertocopyfilesto -trayonly

Also running as a system level service would be great and then the ability to throw commands at the system service as necessary would be nice too.

Thanks, loving the Alpha so far.

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 12:00 AM.
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

• grumpy and Bop Sprengers like this

#49 Seán

Seán

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

My wishlist is as follows:

• Ability to prioritise syncing by file size, e.g. where it syncs the smallest file, then the next smallest and so on until the biggest file is synced last. Also, if a smaller file is changed/added while syncing a large file, pause the large file until the smaller file is synced.
  • Choose which share folders to display 'Download Complete' notifications for. For example, I have my mother's Documents folder sync'd 1-way to a backup folder on my PC. Every time she imports her photos, saves a document, etc. I get tray notifications. If I turn off notifications, I'm no longer notified if files in other shared folders are modified, such as if I share a folder with a work colleague.
  • Add file versioning. A workaround at the moment for Windows Vista/7/8 PCs is enable 'Previous Versions' on the HDD containing the shared folder.
  • Keep this sync utility freeware. :)

This is my third day with the Alpha and already really impressed with it. So far syncing between my home PC, laptop and work PC works great and based on looking at my home PC via Remote Desktop from work, it appears to sync quicker than Dropbox. I much look forward to doing away with Dropbox once this reaches a stable release. B)

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:45 AM.
"Versioning" is now supported. Sync is - and will remain - freeware. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

#50 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

BitTorrent Sync Alpha Tester

• Moderators
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Keep this sync utility freeware. :)

See this topic. ...in a nutshell, BitTorrent Sync will remain free!! :)

#51 tbekolay

tbekolay

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I just got up and running with the Alpha and am really enjoying it so far. I am a Linux user, so I am interacting with SyncApp through the WebUI. I have two features I would love for the WebUI.

• Password protection (right now I can connect to a remote machine with ip:port/gui, which is great, but I'm not sure I would want anyone to have access to this).
  • A button to generate a list of directories and their corresponding secret keys. I've set up about 20 directories, and manually copying the list of directories and keys is cumbersome.

Thanks!

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:47 AM.
It's possible to protect the WebUI with a password

• dearnold likes this

#52 alfredo

alfredo

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi all,
Thanks you very much guys for the hard work! the application is great!!

My whishlist:
1 - add the ability to vote for the wishes.
2 - Have like a buffer on the Internet to synchronize with a computer turned off. For example, I want to share between my computers 10gb, would be good to have the ability to set up a buffer (dropbox public/private folders, public/private folder google drive, etc) so that if I have disconnected computers, the information is going to be uploaded to these accounts ( let's say 5gb ), then in the other side, when I connect the other computers, they are going to start the sync from those accounts ( 5gb ).
That way two computers can be sync even if they are connected at different times.
3 - The ability to manage my tokens from a webpage.
4 - Have the option to encrypt the folders that are being synchronized so that only I can see its content when I want (with user and pass), but keeping the sync working in background.
5 - Having the option to choose how much space ( and bandwidth ) I want to share on my hard drive for use by other people, then the program can duplicate and distribute the information to other people ( doing an encription ). this way we can give a lot of free space to many people if we all share and have an online backup of our files.

hope you like them!

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:55 AM.
Item 4 is now available through the use of "Encrypted Nodes"

#53 m1bxd

m1bxd

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTotnes, GB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

SyncApp Community Edition v SyncApp Privacy Edition

• Version support
  • An encrypt key as well as a folder secret, so that I can use a friend's PC as the target sync, and have a utility which I can enter the encrypt key for browse and restore, Either by a file, version of a file, folder, or version of a folder etc
  • Schedule control - with definable up/dl ratios
  • Folder priority would be "nice"
  • Have a closed code component or Privacy edition that enables the "encrypt key as well as a folder secret" functionality
  • For every target deployment of the "encrypt key as well for a folder secret" a license key also has to be entered, based on the public keys that both the "source" pc and the "john doe" pc target generates
  • therefore have a license model of licensing the "john doe" back up target(s) at a nominal one-off fee of say at the rate of $XX per target, payable only in Bitcoin.

hurrah time for tea!

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 01:59 AM.
Version support has since been added. "Encrypted Nodes" have since been introduced. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

• maddgrinner and X6tus like this

#54 Torrent Rider

Torrent Rider

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

A rolling encryption would be nice for long-term setups: every so many months, BTSync pushes a new
key to all synced folders, or add the option to the app.

#55 johnmarshall4

johnmarshall4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'd like to see BitTorrent work with hardware NAS vendors and products like Space Moneky and Transporter to integrate BTSync out of the box.

#56 eseelke

eseelke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

I would like a pause sync option on the web based clients.
  • dkam, affert and Limes102 like this

#57 jrl290

jrl290

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

First, awesome! I appreciate that most everything on my wishlist has already been asked, but it's all just a bunch of +1's

- A file serve only mechanism, where local copies are not kept, but files can still be downloaded with the benefits of the bittorrent protocol via WebDAV or ordinary web interface. That way a user is not limited to the hard drive size of his smallest computer.

- Per computer priority settings that allow user to maintain file sync capability, but use less bandwidth on slower or data limited connections. This is not the same as straight bandwidth limits, as setting the upload rate to 0 would disable syncing completely, but any higher setting would pull data from a limited computer when there are copies available from other places.

- The ability to host data in incomplete and encrypted form, providing higher storage efficiency (think RAID5), more redundancy, and higher performance with the use of otherwise unused free space. This is akin to the idea of donating free hard drive space without having access to another user's files. Could be implemented using a global secret.

- Versioning, both for backup and bandwidth efficiency purposes

- Transparent handling of the nested folder issue

I realize these concepts that may seem simple actually mean massive amounts of extra complexity. This is just my feeling on how this app would best serve everyone's needs.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 02:03 AM.
"Encrypted Nodes" are now available allowing you to host encrypted data. Versioning has also since been introduced

• jesper and Automatic Coding like this

#58 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

BitTorrent Sync Alpha Tester

• Moderators
  • 2,455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi all,
My whishlist:
1 - add the ability to vote for the wishes.

There kinda already is in a way - just click the "Like This" button at the bottom of relevant forum posts! - When the BitTorrent Sync team browse this forum (which they regularly do), they'll be able to gauge how popular certain suggestions are based on how many "likes" a post has!

#59 takefocus

takefocus

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

+1 for Proxy support (my number one as I would like to sync files from inside corp network to my

+1 for windows service

+1 for android client

Also for option to host own tracker server would be a nice to have to make the whole system completely closed.

I must say, A really great job... I have synced all my photo albums with my VPS and i'm able to view it all through a nice web interface using Ajaxplorer.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 02:17 AM.
An Android client is now available. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

• kanine and NipponBill like this

#60 stevecrozz

stevecrozz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'd like more documentation on .SyncIgnore. I tried it out and expected it to work like .gitignore. I can't tell from the documentation how the file should be formatted, other than it should use 'utf-8'. It doesn't seem to do what I want. I think an example for the documentation would help. Here's what I would like to do:

$ cat ~/.SyncIgnore
somebigfile.iso
tmp/
Projects/ProjectOne/
*.log

Basically, I want the ability to ignore files according to patterns and those patterns should apply through the directory tree like they are with .gitignore files. This is basically what I've learned to do with rsync which is what I'd love to replace with btsync.

Edited by GreatMarko, 23 May 2014 - 02:20 AM.
Wildcard ? and * characters are now supported in .SyncIgnore, and documentation has been improved accordingly

• jesper, m1bxd, Limes102 and 1 other like this

• Page 3 of 41

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whishlist