Become a part of the community today! Registration is quick and easy and will enable you to post, send personal messages, and join in on the chat! It's as simple as clicking on the links above.

Wishlist

Whishlist

• Page 3 of 52
  • Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#41 hobbes80

hobbes80

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHerndon, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

I agree that there are more "cloud storage" providers, but what would make SyncApp unique, is a distributed cloud storage.
They can take down Mega(upload), they can force storage providers to provide a copy of your data.
If SyncApp could be used as a distributed cloud storage, it would be virtually impossible to remove the data.
if for example WikiLeaks wants to store some documents, there wouldn't be a party to ask to take the data offline.
People suffering from represive regimes, could store their data and remain anonymous.
And trusting Bittorrent with your data is very easy if you are able to encrypt it,

Do you mean offering your idle storage for others like wuala started? I would be happy to have my data synced between my 2 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 ubuntu laptop, 1osx imac and my 2 NAS at 2 locations :) it looks enough to be distributed for me.

Symform also does this. While I love the idea of distributed storage, in practice it has been impractical. Data sitting on other people's machines can be brute forced, even if encrypted. I agree with the other folks who have mentioned linking to dropbox and drive through APIs that it would be redundant. Why use SyncApp if your using another cloud-storage service?

However, it would be really nice to be able to link all of your SyncApp devices to an S3 or similar object bucket. Sync your stuff to S3 and then be able to enable SyncApp to cache only items being used.

S3 and your Desktop become your repository and backup, your mobile devices (laptop,phone,etc..) become your cached devices. This would be a really powerful tool for small businesses as well. You could put SyncApp on all the laptops, use S3 as your "file server" and still move files around the office quickly between anyone who has a cached copy of it.
  • affinity likes this

#42 mmartinez74

mmartinez74

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

Command Line component for:
  • Subscribing to a shared folder sync. That way you could remotely SSH or telnet into a system and connect it to a shared folder
  • Creating a shared folder.
  • Bandwidth settings.
Email notifications

Scriptability....to allow folks to add a function or step in the process, like encryption...without it needing to be a part of the program functionality.
  • affinity, Bop Sprengers and JollyRoberts like this

#43 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

BitTorrent Sync Alpha Tester

• Moderators
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Command Line component for:

• Subscribing to a shared folder sync. That way you could remotely SSH or telnet into a system and connect it to a shared folder
  • Creating a shared folder.
  • Bandwidth settings.
Email notifications

Scriptability....to allow folks to add a function or step in the process, like encryption...without it needing to be a part of the program functionality.

As has been indicated in another thread there are plans for an API for SyncApp at some point.

#44 Hronom

Hronom

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hello guys! Thanks for good app. But I have one whish)))
In our office we have one archive that must be synchronized on all machines, but only one machine have read/wright rights for this archive. And this works great!

But we need one more thing -> "mirror sync". Its like, if u change some files on machines that have read only rights, app must rollback this changes.
I see this like checkbox where we can set mirror sync folder or not. Or maybe better checkbox with rollback changes in this folder!

Its will be very useful for us and I think for others peoples too.

I hope u implement this))) So we place this great app on all our machines.
  • bugmenot likes this

#45 vitic

vitic

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Sync metadata (ownership/permissions/timestamps etc) of the files/directories

Transfer only changes/differences between files, not the entire file every time one byte changes.

Perhaps allow multiple Sync apps running, one for each user, if possible.

This is to allow for full replication between servers.
  • hobbes80, nexx, dkam and 1 other like this

#46 hobbes80

hobbes80

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHerndon, VA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Sync metadata (ownership/permissions/timestamps etc) of the files/directories

Transfer only changes/differences between files, not the entire file every time one byte changes.

Perhaps allow multiple Sync apps running, one for each user, if possible.

This is to allow for full replication between servers.

Along this line, being able to work on more than one file at a time would be awesome. It seems like the system processes the list of changed files in order, instead of spinning off jobs for the files to be transferred as they list, making it multi-threaded, essentially.

#47 MRACHINI

MRACHINI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLebanon

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I like the Scheduled sync "Exactly like the time table in utorrent"

For cloud storage or cloud sync, i think soon after SyncApp launches, we will see a lot of websites providing you with a key that lets you sync your folder and files to their servers.
  • hobbes80 likes this

#48 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

for windows (tested on win7):
sort by columns in "Transfer" tab
move to next field/checkbox in "Preferences" tab by pressing the tab key

additionally, platform-independent:
* transfer speed plot in time would be nice (not required)
* uTorrent style scheduling would be even nicer - for optimizing transfers in networks with strong time/related congestion
* Wireless SSID-based transfer capping would be awesome: at work, stay under the radar. at home: go full blast. when i connect to the mobile hotspot, stop completely.
  • yottabit and Bop Sprengers like this

#49 cetoli

cetoli

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Congratulations! Great Application! My wish list:

- Tray icon for linux - Gnome - KDE
- Service daemon instalation

- The cloud idea already discussed in the list is the best way to for SyncApp. It could be on a barter basis I can trade space in my machine for a fraction of the space in the cloud (fraction is for redundancy).

#50 Marveliy

Marveliy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

Please make support of Windows 2003 r2 sp2 x86
BitTorrent Sync 1.0.109 dont start on this OS.
p.s. SyncApp 1.0.75 work

#51 maartenvc

maartenvc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Share a folder inside a folder
  • johnmarshall4, GreatMarko, mrkvs and 4 others like this

#52 wpte

wpte

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm not sure if it's technically possible, but what about a read only shared directory?
Right now you need to have secrets for both read/write and read only.

There's no guarantee that way that a directory is truly read only.
  • elvin likes this

#53 johnmarshall4

johnmarshall4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Selective Sync

I would like better control of what syncs on various devices without always having to create a bunch of separate shares (secrets). This is the kind of implementation I imagine:

1. Under the folder preferences you would have an option for selective sync.
2. By default, selective sync would be off. Any new sub-folders added on a remote device would be automatically be synced (today's behavior).
3. If selective sync were turned on there would be a check list of sub-folders available for the user to select to be synced. **Any new sub-folders added on a remote device would NOT automatically be synced. The user would have to modify the folder preferences again and check the new folder.

This would be very helpful to me in the case where I have remote devices at a different location, but some of them don't have a lot of space. I could add additional folders of files to an existing share and get the sync started on the 'normal' machines without filling up the 'limited' devices. Today I have to do this with different shares.

Note: that .syncignore will not give me this functionality, I want 'opt-in' to folders when enabled. Currently .syncignore requires modifications on all the devices to opt-out.

• hgw27, GreatMarko, dearnold and 11 others like this

#54 syadnom

syadnom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

2 requests in one, but they are related

1) Post sync commands. Whenever a sync completes, run a command.

2) Post sync shadowcopy. A checkbox that will initiate a shadowcopy on the shared folder after each sync. I realize this is Windows specific, but still very useful for many people.

The idea here is that sometimes a file will get deleted from a sync folder and that deletion gets propagated out. A shadow copy makes that file recoverable easily.
  • dearnold, m1bxd and rjstewart like this

#55 eseelke

eseelke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I would also like to see a schedule.

My ISP has decided that unlimited bandwidth is a thing of the past and unfortunately for me, they are my only option. But, at least they do give an 8 hour window each day (12am-8am) where they do not count data. So, I would prefer to have BTSync only access the internet during these hours.

However, i don't know if this is how it works, but if the machine is on the same LAN, I would like it to sync all of the time.
  • m1bxd and rjstewart like this

#56 TheSnowMan

TheSnowMan

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Great, thank you!

It would be nice to have a way to share the secrets in an easier way while avoiding e-mail transmission.

QR code?

or at least format the secret in blocks of 4 or five character?
  • dearnold, rstarkov, nexx and 3 others like this

#57 Hook

Hook

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I also have some wishes:

- BTSync portable for windows (on linux it's portable by default)

- platform independent/portable plaintext config file (as far as i can see, on windows there's only the .dat file for the settings)

- support for / a list of command line arguments which can get used on all platforms (planned API might also be fine)

- add support for sync paths relative to the BTSync.exe (especially for the portable version. when modifying the .dat file manually, BTSync tries to use this path, but it's unable to access it)

- add support for directory symlinks/junctions on windows (mklink /J, when setting BTSync to a directory junction, this error occures: "Error: BitTorrent Sync cannot identify the destination folder.")

#58 toebbel

toebbel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Dear Bittorrent Santa.

This is my wishlist to you:
  • Folder-Wise history log, not aggregated.
  • Some nice icons for each history entry (added file -> +, deleted file -> - , ...)
  • Make all table columns sort-able
  • Show a graph for the speed of a transfer or at leas some "time left" field
  • Don't hide the "one time" and "read only" secret that hard. Pack it into the context menu of each folder.
  • Priorize Folders and Devices.
Thank you!
  • GreatMarko, ChrisH, chicagonyc and 1 other like this

#59 GreatMarko

GreatMarko

BitTorrent Sync Alpha Tester

• Moderators
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I also have some wishes:

- BTSync portable for windows (on linux it's portable by default)

A forum member, MRACHINI, has previously posted a way to make it portable on Windows. I've not tested this myself, but his instructions can be found in this thread

#60 Hook

Hook

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

A forum member, MRACHINI, has previously posted a way to make it portable on Windows. I've not tested this myself, but his instructions can be found in this thread

This is not exactly portable, there's still the problem with relative paths not working (even when modifying the sync.dat manually to e.g. "..\sync")

Also if the settings.dat isn't available at all, the .exe turns into an installer. The sync.dat is portable ... sort of.

However, thanks for the link.
  • GreatMarko likes this

• Page 3 of 52

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whishlist