BitTorrent v µTorrent'

Laeotaekhun

I've tried posting this question on other forums and have, always, been "flamed" by people suggesting that I don't know what I'm talking about!

However, both applications are, identically, configured.

So, why the differences in seeds/peers/download & upload speeds?

Please see the two screenshots following:

1) µTorrent

utorrentscreenshoth.jpg

2) BitTorrent

bittorrentscreenshot.jpg

Can anyone, please (sensibly) explain the differences?

Any (considered) replies/suggestions will be very much appreciated.

There are a multitude of factors that dictate the speeds that an individual gets on a torrent. The settings and line conditions of each individual downloader as well as the size of the swarm are the two biggest factors, but there are a lot of others to deal with.

Speeds basically aren't guaranteed because of the factors that can influence them.

There are a multitude of factors that dictate the speeds that an individual gets on a torrent. The settings and line conditions of each individual downloader as well as the size of the swarm are the two biggest factors, but there are a lot of others to deal with.

Speeds basically aren't guaranteed because of the factors that can influence them.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I still don't get it though!

Surely, if the same torrent is loaded into both applications then the number of seeds/peers should be the same, as should download/upload speeds, because, as far as I am aware (although I am not technical) both would base their searches upon the same basic data?

As you can see from the two screenshots this is often far from the case with (normally) uTorrent having reached (say) 20% when BitTorrent has completed a download.

Not always. The swarm layout is actually inconsistent from one moment to the next. You won't always connect to the same peers, even on the same torrent at the same time.

Because of this inconsistency, you will see different speeds from one torrent to the next and even from inner moment to the next.

Not always. The swarm layout is actually inconsistent from one moment to the next. You won't always connect to the same peers, even on the same torrent at the same time.

Because of this inconsistency, you will see different speeds from one torrent to the next and even from inner moment to the next.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

If I understand you correctly, it is impossible for both applications to "latch on" to the same seeds/peers and offer the same download/upload rates.

So, for me, that shows two things.

1) That the responses (when I've been "flamed" for even asking the question), on other forums resulted from ignorance.

and

2) I will have to continue, as now, loading the same torrent into both applications and seeing which one "wins".

It is, always, the "winner" that I then allow to carry on seeding - I can't afford the disc space to retain both.

Many, many thanks again.

p.s. Where is "here"? I've been unable to find it!

If you're trying to run both clients at the same time on the same connection, you are actually contributing to a speed problem generated by connection overload. You really should pick one client and stick with it. Running two on the same connection will cause the two to fight over peers that are on the torrent and end badly for you speed-wise.

• 5 months later...
Guest AntistatiK

still there's no coherent answer 2 this question. while now i have both utorrent & bittorrent installed, both doing the same job 4 me, both now looking alike, both having kinda same tunings, both kept maintained (say,updated) in 2012, is it of any sense or use 4 me 2 keep them both on my pc, or i might keep only 1 ? if so, which 1 (i believe, the 1 that will not be discontinued...) ?..

Guest Dushan

still there's no coherent answer 2 this question. while now i have both utorrent & bittorrent installed, both doing the same job 4 me, both now looking alike, both having kinda same tunings, both kept maintained (say,updated) in 2012, is it of any sense or use 4 me 2 keep them both on my pc, or i might keep only 1 ? if so, which 1 (i believe, the 1 that will not be discontinued...) ?..

My Friend.they will not answer ur question.because both have good and bad.If they say bit torrent is better and there will be question why is Utorrent not good enough.i will give u diplomatic answer the best way to know what is best what is good is u do a personal survay and research and keep ur experince 1st place because some other user have different experince than ur's in my experince if u have a good connection and have low download rate it may be the application or it may be the seeder amount or it may be the settings or it may be ur luck(it means no full file or no seeders at that point u download)Please Bit Torrent Makers pleseeez do a video tutorial how to speed up bit torrent by settings because they are so many guru's telling what 2 do speed up ur bit torrent client.there is no way to belive all[ /i]I Think u get the idea.Thanks,bye.So do not get angry with me.sorry if u have heart fellings. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

its the some product with diferent name, just easy to sell 2 and more option to sell, no diferences

I buy one from utorrent all support come from bitorrent.com, and alot trouble reinstall , everytime problem with license key and its say you cant install cause u allrady install it many times!

i always install it on the some computer, reinstall cause antivirus in it make problem, now i 3 days waiting for answer with new exe to use it to install, shame on you. and also alot adwestering! why you try to make me download some shet and songs and serials thet i dont need? if i paid money i dont want see any promoutions!!!

Archived