Sign in to follow this  
bitTorrentIdentity

Why Do I See "this Topic Is Locked"

Hi,

I just posted a question in another forum, got an answer which I'm mostly happy with but leaves one question unanswered (for me anyway).  However the admin just gave a reply and then immediately locked the topic  --  so instead of seeing "Reply to this topic" I see "This topic is locked".  I don't want to re-post the question which is pretty much answered.  I can't see any way to contact the admin and I can't reply to the topic.  How should I proceed? 

BTW - sorry if I'm being an annoying new user - "Why did you immediately lock my topic?" is my second ever post!  ;-)

For information (the following information really doesn't belong in this thread) the admin said you cannot be 100% certain that a client is downloading only from you [i.e. even if they download 100% of the torrent, they may still be downloading from multiple peers] and all I wanted to ask is: I accept the client may be downloading 100% from me and also downloading from other peers, but do you know what sort of client would do that when the out-of-the box setting for uTorrent (and every other torrent application I know of) is to connect to as many peers in the swarm as possible?  You must admit this is unusual behaviour for a client, especially when all the others in the swarm behave in a different way.  I can't understand why the other peer is doing it.

Anyway, back on topic if a thread gets locked for no apparent reason, what should I do?

The number of factors that affect how much a given downloader will download from a given seed is long enough and varied enough that ANY attempt to micromanage the behavior in BitTorrent from the seed end will result in a lot of things that the micromanager won't expect.

Your suggestion wasn't locked for "no apparent reason"

It was locked because the original request was either unworkable or based on a misunderstanding of how BitTorrent as a protocol actually works.