Post-Installation Feedback...

B.Jay

I already mailed this in (via the "Feedback" link you had in the invitation e-mail), but just for the sake of completeness and "greater exposure to the suits and developers involved"... here we go...

So I got the setup.exe and installed it on my Windows 7 machine. Installation went smoothly, but there are three "gripes" right after the initial installation:

1. No Tray Icon (yet).

Bummer. I get that it reads "Pre-Alpha" on the box, so I just make the suggestion that a tray icon would be a very nice thing to have. Closing the window terminates the program (yes, I know: "just minimize it for the time being").

2. "ClickOnce" Package? Not good.

Packaging BT Bleep as a "ClickOnce" package is a poor decision, and not really a good idea. I understand that you seem to target Metrocalypse 8.x as the OS of your "target audience" because it's the most recent and even-worse-than-Vista OS release, but why package it as an unholy "ClickOnce" package (other than make it "self contained" to spam %AppDataLocal%\Apps instead of %ProgramFiles% or %ProgramFiles(x86)%)? Windows 8.x can also run normally packaged programs - you know, like your very own BT Sync. Not that I would use Windows 8.x, but I know it runs "Install Shield" or "Nirsoft" or <insert favorite installer here> packaged programs just fine.

3. Program icon

Here we tackle point 2 again. In Windows 7 it only creates a lonesome icon on the desktop - and not in the Start Menu. Also, after rebooting my system that frelling unholy "ClickOnce" (please excuse me, I really lack a better term/word) crap keeps on creating a "Microsoft" program group in my start menu containing a "Bleep" icon ... I definitely don't want that - I keep my start menu sorted to my likings myself; thank you very much. That being said, I think future versions should create a start menu entry (just look at the stats - Windows 8.x isn't as popular as you may think it is) AND steer clear from "uninstalling itself" (my experience with another unholy "ClickOnce" package on Windows 7 which shall remain unnamed to protect the incompetent) in case the icon gets moved into another program group and the created program group gets deleted entirely (who needs that "readme" and "uninstall" crap anyways).

Looking forward to test Bleep further and see it progress ... though, to be honest, I wouldn't keep/re-install it in the current packaged form assuming we would talk about a "RC" or "Final".

I couldn't even install, it requires .NET 4.5 which I can't seem to get working on WinXP x64.

I refuse to use anything above XP because anything above uses a complete OS rebuild, where the kernel comes infested with what can be called a RAT.

(it's not a RAT directly, but it gives MS an interface to control your compy)

^it's not confirmed to be operational in Vista, and 7 requires an update before it'll work. (feedback from other hackers)

I was too lazy to get the source links upon discovery (a few years back), or I'd provide them here. :P

but imagine what other hackers could do to your compy with this interface...

MS screwed up, big time... (they didn't just screw up, they've become screwed up in wanting to control everyone) :P

XP isn't flawed and insecure as everyone proclaims, get some good security (non-MS) and you're fine.

(I have 2 years experience to prove this, as I visit the dark-ends of the net normally, excluding pron)

^ I'll admit running across pron on sites like TPB and such, but those things (pron) are blocked now and won't even display for me. :)

so again, 2 years, and not one reported infection on either of my AV softwares.

I specifically favor this program (talking about Bleep) due to the fact that even skype ads have been a targeted source of infections.

I want to get off skype anyways because of it's memory usage :P

OT: also, chrome...

everyone uses it not realizing how horrible of a browser it is...

sure I don't visit the darkest areas, but even so, chrome killed a 3-week old XP-Home compy with 6 trojans and over 800 malware infections.

this was reported by a very crappy scanner, so I'm sure I also had a few rootkits among other things which ended up corrupting the HDD.

what killed it exactly??

a few google searches for some crack-ware.

I'm using Comodo IceDragon now (less memory than Dragon but almost as secure) and search for crack-ware almost regularly.

(anyone got the money to give me to pay for it normally) :P

money issues aside, I'm doing this stuff for everyone else and removing viruses from installers before giving them to anyone.

(the stuff I give works or I don't give it)

sorry for the dragged out rant... I'm working in questionable areas, so I try to resolve as much as possible with alot of experience... :/

(I'm white-hat and harmless, trying to up-hold a trusted reputation)

1. I get that some people want a tray icon, but I'd prefer this to be an optional thing. I use the taskbar for everything.

2. I agree that the Clickonce package is not optimal and very annoying. What I don't understand is why you suddenly go on a Windows 8 rant. It has nothing to do with Windows 8.

3. That probably has to do with the Clickonce packaging. I hope they do away with it.

???

Drugs are bad, m'kay.

Dude, you got issues.

1. I get that some people want a tray icon, but I'd prefer this to be an optional thing. I use the taskbar for everything.

2. I agree that the Clickonce package is not optimal and very annoying. What I don't understand is why you suddenly go on a Windows 8 rant. It has nothing to do with Windows 8.

3. That probably has to do with the Clickonce packaging. I hope they do away with it.

Drugs are bad, m'kay.

re 2: "ClickOnce" packages, though I stand to be corrected as we still develop with VS2010, appeared with .NET 4.5 (read: Windows 8.x shipping default)... hence the little rant into that direction.

They are not giving us the software to test the UI, even if that's what they are saying.

What they really want to test, and what they need us for, is the whole engine behind Bleep.

The UI at this point is just a facade and one guy, perhaps even an intern, may have quickly created
the WPF fontend and ClickOnce gave them an easy way to publish.

There's nothing wrong with ClickOnce if used correctly, we deploy out a lot of software with it.

It's as good a deployment mechanism as any other (look at Google Chrome),

Hey Guys,

Great feedback.  One thing thats been mentioned is a large focus on testing the engine.  We did a limited release knowing that there are UI, features, and installer improvements that are needed in the future.  Many of the suggested features in the forum are on our roadmap and its good to hear that everyone is looking forward to them.

Thanks from the Bleep team.

Guest arvid

The decision to use ClickOnce was primarily made because of it being quick, and had we fully realized all of the issues that would come along with it, we probably would have gone with something else.

It is a temporary solution, and the alternative is not trivial unfortunately. Specifically, replacing the auto-update mechanism with something reasonable is a bit complicated.

One of the goals we set out initially was to not require a later version than 3.5 of the .net framework (to avoid having to ship it to most users). In the last minute we discovered an unexpected dependency on 4.5 though. We've since fixed it and the next update will not depend on .net 4.5.

• 2 weeks later...

Second regarding the ClickOnce install and problems with .NET 4.5. It eventually installed. Don't know why. Haven't dug through logs yet.

Really looking forward to option of install directory or at the very least install to %ProgramFiles%

1) I have received two authorization codes: one for cellphone and other for email... make any sense it ?

2) In chats only appears on top the public key, can you change to easily identify the recipient like a nickname ?

Can I send the setup file to a friend or it's necessary follow the way  I do ?

Archived