decrease in download speed

terrynot1

No. It doesn't have anything to do with your issue.

Your connection limits and active torrent count limits are a little high for actually functioning properly. Try setting your active torrents to 2 total, 1 downloading.

Thanx. I will change my settings. This would be the only way to stay below the imposed limit of 40Mbps.

However, how do I determine what the maximum torrents are allowed before I exceed my limit? I will attempt to get this info from Eastlink, after they answer my email.

Thanx again for your input. There may be hope for me yet. I have gained considerable computer knowledge through encountering problems.

Thanx. I will change my settings. This would be the only way to stay below the imposed limit of 40Mbps.

However, how do I determine what the maximum torrents are allowed before I exceed my limit? I will attempt to get this info from Eastlink, after they answer my email.

Thanx again for your input. There may be hope for me yet. I have gained considerable computer knowledge through encountering problems.

I now have one torrent downloading at ~70kB/s, 2 uploading at ~106, ~9kB/s. My download speed is supposed to be 5MB/s.

Is my ISP Eastlink still screwing me over?

Looks likely. Try with ONLY the slackware torrents.

Re: no response

. . ..

01-24-201204:20 PM

Dear Gents,

Here is the email response from Eastlink , my ISP.

I would appreciate your response to this reply.

Here goes:

----------------------------

Hello Patrick,

We're sorry that you were unable to get the assistance you were looking for while speaking to our representatives. First we would like to let you know that we do not see any suspensions on your Internet service.

With our Internet 40 service, we provide our customers with download speeds of up to 40mbps and upload speeds of up to 2mbps. With our Internet 40 service, we do allow 250GB of data transfers per month, and you can keep track of your current usage at http://www.eastlink.ca/myusage/ (please be sure you're using your own modem when you go to this web site for accurate results, as these results will be different if you check it on another modem.). For each additional GB over our 250GB limit, there is a $1 per GB charge.

To test and see what your speed is right now, you only need to surf over to our speed test page at http://speedtest.eastlink.ca and click begin test. When the test is complete, if your speeds are not in the 35-40mbps range for download and the 1-2mbps range for upload, we ask that you bypass any routers and test on a computer that is hooked up directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable. If this still doesn't give you the results you're looking for, we ask that you reboot your computer into safe mode with networking and run the test again. To boot your computer into safe mode you only need to tap F8 as the computer is starting up, and at the Windows Advanced Startup options screen, you only need to select Safe Mode with Networking and press enter. If you're still experiencing a problem with your speed test results please let us know.

On our website when we say that you can download up to 300 movies per month, this is based on the standard size of most movies that you can find on the Internet at NetFlix. When it comes to download managers, you may find that Bit Torrent is a very popular choice, however we do not support it.

In relation to the Internet 100, it is a standalone service that is $164.95/mo+tax. This service can not be combined into a bundle at this time, which means that if you were to upgrade, your Watch Surf and Talk bundle will be changed to a Watch and Talk bundle, with the Internet 100 as a side package. For detailed pricings it would be required for you to speak with one of our customer service sales representatives.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this email, chat with us on our web site, or call us by telephone using the number below. Our Technical Service and Support team is here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

Tim

-----------------------------------------------

I still don't know how many "movies" I can download simultaneously before exceeding my 40Mbps limit.

-"we do not see any suspensions on your Internet service."

Then how did my download speed drop to 0 with 40Mbps download speed? This looks like a suspension to me.

-"When it comes to download managers, you may find that Bit Torrent is a very popular choice, however we do not support it."

Exactly what does that mean? Am I forbidden to use BitTorrent, as millions of other Internet users do? How are they able to do it whereas I am not? I think the term 'torrent" is a dirty word at Eastlink; they would rather not talk about it. I suppose I can understand that attitude. But where does that leave me?

-"On our website when we say that you can download up to 300 movies per month, this is based on the standard size of most movies that you can find on the Internet at NetFlix."

It seems to me that Netflix (with which I have an account) is streaming, not a download service.

I still must determine how many downloads active before I exceed 40Mbps. There does not seem to be any change in my download speed test with respect to number of active torrents on my list. I would your input before I respond to Eastlink.

Thanx again for your input.

I apologize for my too-lengthy post. I wanted to get your reaction to their response to my inquiry.

They appear to be preparing for the lawsuits by the hollywood movie people when downloading movies eventually is made illegal. Easier to go after cable companies than the ordinary Joes, like me.

Also, the cable providers may be scared that their access to the more profitable programming on ppv and pay-through-the-nose tv will be denied by these movie mo-ghouls.

Meanwhile, in the continuing pursuit of my download problem, with no solution in sight: a graphics software designer thinks the problem may be with a defective RAM.Does this possible have any creedence with you?

I am running out of answers. Frustration has set in. Since nobody else seems to have this difficulty, perhaps their is no solution. Unfortunate since I really enjoyed downloading video programs.

Meanwhile, in the continuing pursuit of my download problem, with no solution in sight: a graphics software designer thinks the problem may be with a defective RAM.Does this possible have any creedence with you?

It's doubtful that defective ram is the cause of the issue.

Honestly, if you're on one of the more congested cable nodes in Halifax you may indeed be getting throttled by eastlink for torrenting.

However, one thing I think I missed was the SPI firewall in the router. If that's on, your performance while torrenting WILL suffer GREATLY.

It's doubtful that defective ram is the cause of the issue.

Honestly, if you're on one of the more congested cable nodes in Halifax you may indeed be getting throttled by eastlink for torrenting.

However, one thing I think I missed was the SPI firewall in the router. If that's on, your performance while torrenting WILL suffer GREATLY.

I disconnected the Airport Extreme router weeks ago. There should be no necessity for port forwarding, except for the NIS firewall. I have attempted their suggested fix with no change in my download speed.

I still think that having excellent download speeds for ~6 months before it stopped should be indicative of where the problem lies. What could change my computer settings without my input in that fashion?

I am still seeking the ability to download video programming as so many others do.

I disconnected the Airport Extreme router weeks ago. There should be no necessity for port forwarding, except for the NIS firewall. I have attempted their suggested fix with no change in my download speed.

I still think that having excellent download speeds for ~6 months before it stopped should be indicative of where the problem lies. What could change my computer settings without my input in that fashion?

I am still seeking the ability to download video programming as so many others do.

I havr decided t this stage my only option is to remove bittorrent and try another download manager. It appears I have nothing to lose.

Thanx for the help. I may be back later.

Archived