Bittorrent Starts On Windows Start Despite Unchecked Option, And Other Issues

Vorador

As per the title, the option is unchecked, but every time it keeps on starting. I had an old version and only recently decided to update, but I'm regretting it, because it also slows my computer down a lot (not just my internet connection) while the older one didn't. Actually, it did too, at first, but then I was able to configure it properly; in this updated one, I dabbled with things I've read around, but nothing changed.

As an added malus, when I updated/installed it, I unchecked the box for adding an icon to Windows' quickstart toolbar, and guess what? The installation didn't care and added it anyway.

How can I fix the startup and the computer slowing?

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I am not an expert so this is just a guess. It is possible that something from the old version is still in your registry or start up and that is why the new version starts and shows up. If it is not part of you regular system cleaning routine you may want to consider cleaning your registry. There is much debate about cleaning a registry so be sure to read and consider the consequences carefully before doing anything to your registry especially based on my inexpert guess.

Hopefully an "expert" will spot your issue and provide a definitive answer.

I'm trying to find the solution to the opposite problem. I can't get it to start when I check the box.

Well, if Sync is still running at startup, despite you unticking the "Start BitTorrent Sync when Windows starts", it may be that you've manually added a shortcut to Sync to your "Startup" folder.

On Windows, programs can be set to run at startup either via registry entries, or by adding shortcuts to the "Startup" folder.

Click Start -> All Programs -> Startup, and check there's no shortcut to Sync in that folder - if there is, delete it and your problem should be solved!

Archived