Linux Gui Vs Linux Command Line

TheDurtch

@Farid asked in this post if: 

A command line version of Bleep or something similar to what we have for Windows (if you had to pick one)?

I would say in most cases a GUI would be fine, but if a command line one came out with an API then I am sure most of us would know how to use it. Either route I would be fine. I would like it if you could start bleep in either GUI or Command Line mode with API.

This is a personal opinion.

Having worked in the industry for a fair while, I believe the best approach for Bleep on Linux would be to separate Bleep into two parts.

Part 1 should be the cli backend.  This would allow those who want/require a cli interface, to have access directly, with minimal download/packaging etc

Part 2 should be a GUI that can be overlaid the cli.  Because it would be independant, the cli could be started as a service, and then the user can call the gui as required.  It also allows for easy skinning and changes by the dev team.

Just a thought or two ;)

That's the whole idea behind Bleep! - two separate components; and engine and a client/UI - see this blog post.

Oh, thats awesome!  I didnt see that :)

Great minds huh?

This is probably not the place, but I have noticed two things that would be great on all version, including Windows and Android...

• A signout/exit/quit option
  • Multiple profiles

Also in the long run...

• Video / conferences
  • Voice / conferences
  • File sharing

If these things are ever implemented, I would drop Skype in a heartbeat.  :D

I think it should have an "engine" that runs headless (like a daemon, perhaps -- like BT Sync).  The engine itself won't have a UI, but it'll listen on a socket (Unix socket file?  TCP socket?  both?).  The GUI or commandline interfaces can communicate with it over the socket interface; with a well-defined API, it should cover pretty much all text chat cases.

I don't know how you'd handle voice chat with a commandline interface.

This is a personal opinion.

Having worked in the industry for a fair while, I believe the best approach for Bleep on Linux would be to separate Bleep into two parts.

Part 1 should be the cli backend.  This would allow those who want/require a cli interface, to have access directly, with minimal download/packaging etc

Part 2 should be a GUI that can be overlaid the cli.  Because it would be independant, the cli could be started as a service, and then the user can call the gui as required.  It also allows for easy skinning and changes by the dev team.

Just a thought or two ;)

Love this idea! :) It gives much freedom for the users, and also opens up for bleep-servers that could potentially act as central nodes! :)

Archived