Some Early Feedback

CaptainCow

1) When the browser opens for the first time it should provide a source for finding torrent sites. For those that want to make sure things are working, you can use my test site:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:RVWJO2IALHFTELO7A5JKA32JOCBBNVYL&dn=test&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80

2) Not being able to view files seeded locally is a huge pain in the ass. I'm sure you guys are working on that, but I just wanted to reiterate how important that is.

3) If I go to bittorrent://<hash>/ it should load bittorrent://<hash>/index.html by default, not show html plain-text.

4) Are there any plans to make updateable sites? I know that the bittorrent spec doesn't support this, but perhaps there are other ways of getting around this.

This project is pretty cool so far, keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

Even more problematic is going to bittorrent://<hash>/some/folder/ does not work and just hangs - I have to add index.html at the end of the URL I have a static content site (fetched with wget from a live wordpress site) but all the subfolder links are without the index.html at the end. Now I have to rewrite all links in the site! I hope a next release addresses this issue.

I'm noticing a duplication (or addition) of outdated versions on the install directory (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Maelstrom\Application).  I'm currently listing 37.0.1.7 (149 MB) and 37.0.2.1 (298 MB).  Will there be an additional directory saved for every version released?  Can the older version be deleted without consequence?

@RichardAbramson thanks for reporting this. Hoping we'll have an update soon.

@hotice919 the previous version directory should remove itself after update. If it still exists after restarting Project Maelstrom again please let me know. Thanks!

@ robv - The old version remains after a program restart and system restart. Can it be deleted? Also, (and I know this may have been mentioned somewhere and I missed it) chrome.native.torrent.exe remains an active process after closing maelstrom. Perhaps a user-set timer that can be adjusted so if you use the browser for a few minutes in the morning, people won't still be pinging off of it 8-hours later.

@ robv - The old version remains after a program restart and system restart. Can it be deleted? Also, (and I know this may have been mentioned somewhere and I missed it) chrome.native.torrent.exe remains an active process after closing maelstrom. Perhaps a user-set timer that can be adjusted so if you use the browser for a few minutes in the morning, people won't still be pinging off of it 8-hours later.

I've seen that happening to Chrome itself also.

Maelstrom seems to be having trouble with the following page: https://play.spotify.com

Whenever loaded a track, it just displays an error message after a second or so. Might it be a flash compatibility issue? Works with no trouble on other browsers.

Also noticed issues with flash on other sites also such as Vessel. Definitely a thing to look into.

The closer you can make the Maelstrom experience like a normal web browser, the better. May I suggest you prioritize web seeds over other peers? CDNs like S3 will do a much better job of seeding, unless you purposefully create your own army of seedboxes. I've had lousy experience trying to stream video, play music, or other media off of Maelstrom. I think it had to do with peers with poor upload transfer rates, or firewalls. I understand the desire to save bandwidth, but you also need to provide a level of acceptable service to at least give the perception that Maelstrom works just as easily and well as any other web browser.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started with Maelstrom today, here's my first experience:

- amazed that the most "normal" websites work just a fine ^_^ (although a bit slower);

- I tryied some of the links on bittorrent://8e65684d700ecc41a09a60ee58991845ea56f734/index.html but it seems that CSS is not loading, all sites are plain html;

- This test site was the farest I could get:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9A23BCCE9B8503FBDD86815DA52D8655090530C0&dn=index.html.torrent&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce

It shows that Maesltrom asked 43 people, 32 helped and 7 know where was my file, but then the page is stuck and do not load my html page.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived