Bittorrent Client For Mac Maxes Cpu For Windowserver

Wizardling

Hey there.

After running BitTorrent client (currently v7.4.3) for Mac a while, if I try to scroll the list of torrents it either Beachballs for a while and then becomes active again till I scroll another time. Or it hangs permanently and I have to force quit. I look at CPU usage and see WindowServer is being maxed till I quit and relaunch BitTorrent. Then after an hour or so it's the same issue again.

Mid-2007 24" 2.8GHz iMac, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB VRAM, OS X 10.6.8

• 3 weeks later...

WindowServer in OS X is the process that controls all screen draws and all GUI elements you see on screen. I dropped a good explanation in quotes at the bottom of this post from MacRumours and here's the Link I got it from.

In my experience when you're having issues with WindowServer it's more of a problem with the OS than the app. I haven't seen anybody with this issue on this forum and a google search doesn't reveal any useful information related to Bittorrent /uTorrent specifically. Pay attention to your other apps and notice if you see any beach balling anywhere else. Considering the age of your iMac it's possible that the Hard Drive is just starting to fail and by extension beginning to corrupt the data that resides there. I would recommend a sector test of the hard drive just to rule that out or confirm. Failing Ram can cause all sorts of wierdness including a runaway processlike you're experiencing.

I'm not saying this IS what's going on but a couple of ideas to consider.

"WindowServer draws everything you see on the screen. It acts as a mediator between applications that want to draw on the screen and the graphics hardware. When an application wants to draw something, it establishes a connection with WindowServer, tells WindowServer what to draw, and WindowServer handles the drawing / compositing / Quartz Extreme hardware acceleration to finally produce what's seen on the entire screen."

I appreciate the reply, but given this problem only happens with the BitTorrent client and uTorrent which are essentially the same app, and no other app, I suspect it is in fact BitTorrent/uTorrent at fault. No other app hangs while maxing WindowServer CPU usage, requiring the app to be force quit. At least not when simply scrolling a list. Not to say other apps have always played nice with the WindowServer process, but nothing in this specific regard, replicated every single time I leave BitTorrent/uTorrent running for a few hours (memory leak in part of BitTorrent/uTorrent?).

As for my HD - it is a WD Velociraptor that replaced the original HD which failed a few years back. Were it at fault I'd see consistent trouble in more than just one app.

Nope, this is a problem with BitTorrent/uTorrent, or an outside possibility of an incompatibility with one of the other apps I always run. If someone cares to look into the matter further, I am happy to provide a System Profile report.

Archived