How to for NUMPTIES!

chrisgod

I have looked and I have4 searched. I have asked and THEN searched again!! I am 56 years old and FLIPPING useless with uploading!! It took me two years to understand downloading for goodness sakes! BUT with BITtorrent I have to say I am now quite able and happy!

BUT now I wish to re-pay the community which has helped myself! The ones who have helped me with something I don't even BEGIN to understand! And I have a rather LARGE library of DVD'S I would like to share. BUT HOW do I do it? Please someone must know?? ALL the searches I try are to download files, which is magic (our morris!)but how do I upload the files? From the start please and easy to follow BABY steps!! YES I am that bad!! (BUT at the end of the day can YOU repair a broken Gas Boiler? Can you install a kitchen that looks like it ALWAYS existed? Ok neither can I but at least I know a man who can....but I do know about Boilers and 4.5" guns!!)

Chris

I have looked and I have4 searched. I have asked and THEN searched again!! I am 56 years old and FLIPPING useless with uploading!! It took me two years to understand downloading for goodness sakes! BUT with BITtorrent I have to say I am now quite able and happy!

BUT now I wish to re-pay the community which has helped myself! The ones who have helped me with something I don't even BEGIN to understand! And I have a rather LARGE library of DVD'S I would like to share. BUT HOW do I do it? Please someone must know?? ALL the searches I try are to download files, which is magic (our morris!)but how do I upload the files? From the start please and easy to follow BABY steps!! YES I am that bad!! (BUT at the end of the day can YOU repair a broken Gas Boiler? Can you install a kitchen that looks like it ALWAYS existed? Ok neither can I but at least I know a man who can....but I do know about Boilers and 4.5" guns!!)

Chris

I'm sorry, but this is a reply in commiseration and not in answer to your questions.

I am in the process of learning to upload myself, and I fear we have tread into the esoteric and arcane knowledge that is the tracker, and "there be monsters." But in fairness to this community at large, "how do I do it?" is a little vague. What "it" are you trying to do?

The "create torrent" part doesn't seem too mysterious in itself. Usually each tracker site has its own set of rules and procedures for "posting" a torrent (uploading is just a part of "it."). Check your site(s) for links to Rules, FAQs, Forum, and Upload.

A forum usually has everything you need to know how to do "it." But I am finding "it" is not easy or straightforward. I found that some in the forums are more than nice, but less than helpful; others are less than nice, and less than helpful; and few if any are more/less than nice, but very helpful. In some cases I have been "flamed" for not knowing something so simple. The main things that I have found in forums in general are opinions, egos, and attitude. Be fearless! Trial and error seems to be the madness in the method. Trust me, if you do something wrong someone will be quick to point it out.

I suspect that anti-pirating legal pitfalls and copyright protection lawsuits are part of the reason for the needlessly nebulous nonsense, and incomplete internet inquiries you are running into. Do a search on Megaupload of starters.

Now if "it" refers to how to get the physical DVD into formats for sharing, I may be able to point you in several directions which may or may not be helpful.

First, is the method that I don't use personally, which is the ISO image. Check out Wikipedia for the textbook stuff. It is basically an archive format for optical media (CD/CD-R/CD-RW, DVD/DVD-R, etc. for you knuckle draggers). This can be extracted to your HD or written to optical disk. But I believe only entire disks can be transferred which may be as large as 4-9 GB for a DVD.

Next, is the ripping process. Most free software (freeware/shareware) will work fine, unless you are trying to rip a copyrighted commercial DVD (or CD). Off-shore company products such as DVD43 ("DVD for free") or AnyDVD do not honor US copyright protections and region codes, which allow a nefarious individual to rip a protected DVD free from the protection into unprotected DVD files. This is bad, VERY BAD, and illegal, and not nice, and we wouldn't even think of trying to do this.

Then, there are conversion software offerings for changing a video format from mpeg to avi, or mkv to flv, for example. I use Any Video Converter, which I download from < munched > which works great for this. I've used AVS also, but AVC was free.

I hope this helps some on the work you have to do on your end before you can even think about uploading. But for the rest, I suggest you check out your torrent tracker site for rules and procedures.

Best of luck.

Thank you for at least taking time and making the effort to reply! This is in itself a minor break through. And the "IT" is basically to be described as making files upload via. BiTtorrent to a site I choose. I can find any number of HOW to create "IT's" for UTorrent (Sorry I don't know the key sequencing for mu! But I cannot find the same offered for BitTorrent?? I am not bothered I will migrate to UTorrent should the need arise. BUT I have gotten used to using this site and although I must say the Graphics are VERY similar that is as far as I have gone thus far. BUT Watch this space? OR Not as is the case!

But however it would be extremely ungracious of me NOT to offer my thanks to the person who tried to help!

So THANK YOU Sir/Madam!

Chris

Archived