downloading torrents and misc question

Guest MrV

I'm new to using bittorrent and I'm having problems.

1. I find a torrent I want to download, I click on it and it get added to bittorent (when I find the torrent I make sure it has seeds), once it gets added to my bittroent it shows that I have no seed availalbe. Why is that? Note: It was working previously. I made sure that nothing has been reconfigure on my laptop

2, What does it mean after a torrent is added and it shows the following under seeds 0(33)?

what I'm using: I'm using bittorent 7.1 build 22502. I use firefox 3.6.16, I use WIndows 7 64 bit Ultimate This is running on a Macbook Pro with an Intl 2.16 ghz due proessor and 2 gb ram. (

I connect through my employers wireless network that has been setup without any encryption. (Bittorent has been working previously and nothing has changed on the configuration of the laptop)

I'm AVG 2011 security suite I've checked the firewall in AVG and made sure it hasn't been configured to block it.

I would greatly apprecaite help on what is going on. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Guest bluelacy59

1. I find a torrent I want to download, I click on it and it get added to bittorent (when I find the torrent I make sure it has seeds), once it gets added to my bittroent it shows that I have no seed availalbe. Why is that? Note: It was working previously. I made sure that nothing has been reconfigure on my laptop

2, What does it mean after a torrent is added and it shows the following under seeds 0(33)?

what I'm using: I'm using bittorent 7.1 build 22502. I use firefox 3.6.16, I use WIndows 7 64 bit Ultimate This is running on a Macbook Pro with an Intl 2.16 ghz due proessor and 2 gb ram. (

I connect through my employers wireless network that has been setup without any encryption. (Bittorent has been working previously and nothing has changed on the configuration of the laptop)

I'm AVG 2011 security suite I've checked the firewall in AVG and made sure it hasn't been configured to block it.

I would greatly apprecaite help on what is going on. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Guest bluelacy59

MrV: Did you get my reply. When I sent it this website crashed and I did not know if you got it. If you did not get it I will reply again. bluelacy

Guest bluelacy59

Well this is strange. MrV: My second post on this site. Lost first post to you it seems. 0(33) means you have no seeds working but have 33 available. You may have to wait 5-15 minutes for the Tracker to let the seeds know you want to communicate with them. After you add the torrent: Put your mouse arrow on the torrent and Right click. This should highlight the torrent and open a selection box. Mouse to Bandwidth Allocation and follow arrow, select High. Mouse to torrent and Right click again, this time select Force Start and Left click. This should cause the Trackers to announce you to the seeds faster. Now: Look at the lower half of the BitTorrent page. Mouse to torrent and Left click to select: Then Mouse to lower half of page and Left click General. Look at the information just below it. On the right hand side of the page it will tell you how many seed and peers are working and if they are in a swarm. Mouse to Trackers and Left click. Look at information. Do this for each category and look at the information it shows. When General is Highlighted the "Bar" at the top of the lower half of the page will show the availability of the torrent. Blue means available, Red, missing files. Some of the things I want to download are obscure so it may take me 2-3 weeks to get all the files. Not many seeds or peers. Some persons only get online at strange times of the day, so if you do not connect when they are on you will not get the files they have. Good luck, and by all means enjoy. I downloaded a movie while I wrote this. I connected to about 36 of 460 seeds and 1 peer of 1468. A swarm never formed, but I got download speeds to 800+ k/Bs with an average of 240 k/Bs. I got the average download speed from Highlighting the torrent after it had finished and Highlighting General and looking at download speed. Oh, your hardware is great and should not matter, nor AVG. Did you go to Options at top of page and go through the Setup Guide? And set the Preferences? If you have not, then go to FAQ and read and do them. Let me know if this helps. Take care, bluelacy

• 3 years later...

I am a new member to Bit Torrent forums and need some clear help please.

My situation:

I am located in Thailand Chiang Mai, when I initial downloaded bit torrent and installed it, the network connection test bandwidth drop box showed

Singapore

Tokyo

Taiwan

Philippines

Hong Kong.

I ran a test on all of the locations shown in the box (I must confess that I really did not know why or  what I was actually doing this for)  I set the upload at 1Mbp and ran the test. I used the same criteria for all the locations.  All, with the exception of Singapore, show a red X at the top of the test screen in the right hand corner,( I am not sure as to why the red X really  appeared and what was  wrong with each location)  Singapore however  showed a green tick. and  the information from bit torrent reported that the internet connection was now all ok.

Using pirate bay  I found the movies I required and bit torrent took them over and started downloading ok, all be it; the download speed is some what low I though @ 275kbps. The Upload @ 20kbps  I was downloading 4 movies at a time each TV series movie approx. 7.5GIG.

Today, 21st August I decided to run another test but this time in the bandwidth drop box  14 locations can be found all from the European theatre or USA, none are showing from Asia area and the 5 locations previously mention are present in the drop box. the current location is Paris France.

when I run a test on each of these locations, the red X appears in the top right.

I have 2 movies still to finish off downloading both are at a DL sped of 255kbps.

Questions:

Is this the correct topic for this  issue, if not, where should it be raised and how do I start (if it be necessary) a new topic ?

Why are the Asian locations now missing and in particular the SGP location that seemed to  have all green ticks and made it correct for me yesterday 20th August .?

Why now are all the locations European in nature and no Asian locations as per the 20th August?

How do I improve my download speed so as to decrease the amount of time it is taking to download a completed movie?

Today I  ran a separate speed test  using Zone telecom speed test; the results were:

IP 171-4-94-49

DL 5.84MBPS = 5836Kbps = 792.5kbps transfer rate

UP 0.20MBPS =                     24.5kbps

Latency 148ms

Any constructive comments or guidance please

Regards

Learning

Archived