bittorrent is crashing

Dale V

I have several torrents downloading at all times. Since I am using a laptop, it is periodically necessary to shut down and I have always simply closed Bittorrent to do do so. When I start up again I restart Bittorrent and my torrents reload and resume downloading. The torrents always start as "queued" and then starting from the bottom of the list begin downloading. Today something unusual occurred in that it took 20 to 30 min for the torrents to all start "downloading" and as the progress neared the top of the list my screen page slowly faded to white and the 'swirl' icon you see when typically waiting for a web page to load appeared. This has never happened before now. The typical address bar at the top of my screen still appears normal and when I close Bittorrent, Windows gives me the message "Bittorrent is not responding". I have tried stopping or deleting some of the torrents when I restart it with no change.

What could be causing this to happen? How do I fix it? I have not added any new software or made any system changes prior to this phenomenon occurring. I am using an Acer with an AMD quad processor running Windows 7. Please help!

Here's an update to this behavior (today, Nov 9): I tried starting Bittorrent again just now. Before, it would load the saved torrents and then the screen would slowly fade (crash) as the last few went from queued to downloading. Now nothing will load. Windows 7 has an option to fix compatibility issues and I tried that but now Bittorrent locks up after it is started and have to close it with Task Manager. Is this a Windows or a Bittorrent (I have 7.7) issue? Could a virus have come in with a torrent? Security Essentials couldn't find anything.

PS Should I try reinstalling Bittorrent?

I have similar problems running Bittorrent 7.7 (build 27987) 32 bit on my Samsung laptop. Since upgrading from a previous version, I find my downloads in the C: directory instead of the specified Download folder, and every so often Bittorrent stops responding and I have to use the Task Manager to halt the program. This has gotten so annoying that I have installed Utorrent for downloads, and I am hoping to clear the 33 seeding programs with Bittorrent, before ditching it altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived