Removal

sibo

Please help! My daughter downloaded BitTorrent 7.2 onto our computer.

I do not want it on here. I have tried everything to get rid of it but

it just won't uninstall. Your prompt help would be appreciated. Our computer

is currently not usable because of this!!

Generally, you can uninstall any applications you have by going to "Control Panel" -> "Add/Remove Software" (or if you have a newer version of windows, "Programs and Features").

That said, BitTorrent should not make your computer unusable unless you happened to download a torrent from an unreliable source, infecting your computer with a trojan/virus. In that case, you have bigger issues - like cleaning your computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Trenidor

Hmm...

Something fishy going on with my bittorrent...

I cannot uninstall the program; it doesn't show up in my add/remove programs list. Yet when I restart/turn on my computer bittorrent auto launches. I only use bittorrent once every 5 or so months, so I typically install the latest version, use it for a week, let people leech me and then uninstall it.

My computer hasn't been acting strange (yet). The thing that made me catch on to the fact that bit-torrent is still on my computer even though I uninstalled it, was that my router was flashing and I checked to see if it was MY computer bleeding bandwidth.

How do I get rid of bittorrent when it reaches this stage?

Guest Lindsay

What happens if its not showing up in the add/remove programs? How do i get rid of it? Or disable it from being the default download proram for torrents?

Help

• 1 month later...
Guest mhairi

Hmm...

Something fishy going on with my bittorrent...

I cannot uninstall the program; it doesn't show up in my add/remove programs list. Yet when I restart/turn on my computer bittorrent auto launches. I only use bittorrent once every 5 or so months, so I typically install the latest version, use it for a week, let people leech me and then uninstall it.

My computer hasn't been acting strange (yet). The thing that made me catch on to the fact that bit-torrent is still on my computer even though I uninstalled it, was that my router was flashing and I checked to see if it was MY computer bleeding bandwidth.

How do I get rid of bittorrent when it reaches this stage?

Guest mhairi

this is my problem too..I cannot remove the bar after all other installations...please dont tell me I have to wipe my PC!!! How do I remove this..not cool clingy thing

• 2 months later...

For those that can't find it in their "add/remove program" under Control panel. Try reinstalling the program then check if it's in the add/remove programs then uninstall it. Might of been a corruption somewhere in program.

If that does not work you can try this IF you know your way around computers:

If you know what you are doing, you can manually remove BitTorrent by deleting the directory C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\ (substituting the actual location of your Program Files dir) AND removing the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.torrent

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-bittorrent

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bittorrent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BitTorrent

For those that don't want the program to auto start when windows does do this, while program is open, go to "options" then "preference" then "General" uncheck the box: Start BitTorrent when Windows starts.

Archived