How do I change the status of my torrents?

alexlu0

Hi, and thanks in advance for helping me out. As I download and watch videos, I delete the videos when I am finished but keep the torrents in BitTorrent so I do not accidentally download the same video twice. Usually, all the torrents on my screen say "Finished" even though the files have been deleted by me. I recently opened BitTorrent to find all of my torrents missing. I found the folder where they are stored and re-added them to BitTorrent, but it re-added them as new torrents. Now, I have a bunch of torrents which are trying to download files onto my computer. I do not want them to do this; I want them to just be there so BitTorrent tells me if I try to download something I already did before. My question is: How to I change the status of a torrent to the purple bar saying "Finished" without actually going through the entire download? If I just stop the torrent, it stays in my download queue and prevents newly added torrents from downloading and showing up at the top of my queue. Thanks!post-29330-0-84148200-1373392134_thumb.j

I'm assuming that you've tried "System Restore" to an earlier time?

I don't be lieve you'll be able to do it that way[inserting finished files for other files. The chain has already been broken. It's BTs protection from someone introducing infected or corrupted files into a seeding upload.

You could simulate the "finished" state by going into the files tab and allowing a small DL of .01%. Then right click for the menu and select "don't download" that would change the torrents status from "normal" to "skip". Any unfinished pieces would continue to DL until completion, but otherwise everything would stop.

The torrent would then be in a "seeding" status, and the DLing would stop. You would then highlight the torrent and adjust the upload bandwidth allocation down to 1%. Basically you would have a "Finished" torrent, and would not be able to ever load the same torrent into your client again.

Thanks for the help. I have not done system restore to an earlier time. How would I do this and why would it help? One second I had BitTorrent working fine. I didn't adjust any settings or delete anything, and the next thing I know all my torrents are gone. I tried your second suggestion and it seems to work. However, there are too many torrents for me to do this individually to. Do you have a way to do this for many at once? Thanks.

The system restore feature is done through Windows. Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. You would have to "unhide" all hidden folders. You would do that by clicking the "Tools" dropdown menu in Explorer and selecting "Folder Options"[you can get to folder options through "Control Panel" as well. You would then select the "View" tab. You would check the "Show Hidden Folders" and uncheck the "Hide System Files" and click "Apply".

Using Sys Restore will "hopefully" take your computer back the way it was before the torrents were missed.

As far as commanding all the torrents at one time. You move the mouse cursor over into the blank area in the "Summary" area,[left side of the BT browser] then "right click". That should highlight all your torrents at the same time and show the menu too. You can adjust the "Bandwidth Allocation" from the summary location on the BT interface. Just keep the cursor in the "summary" area. You can issue all the menu commands to all the torrents at the same time from there. Of course doing that will affect your current running torrents as well, so you'll have to de-highlight those one-by-one and set those to the bandwidth you want them to have individually. But there will be far fewer "current" torrents to deal with than the 2700? past torrents.

I was an idiot and installed another update today. Unfortunately, my computer deleted the previous restore when it made one for this update, so that's not an option anymore. I am a little confused about the bandwidth allocation part. I was trying to do your trick to make the torrents "finished" by "skipping" the files in it. This works but must be done to each individually which would take forever. How does bandwidth allocation help? The files would just download slower; the torrents would still be active in my queue.

Sorry

You just can "Stop" or "Pause" all 2500 from the left summary column. I'm using BT 7.7.2 and I'm assuming the mass command feature still exists on 7.8???

No...the changing from active to "skip" should be done on a one-by-one basis with your current torrents only. The other 2500 will remained "stopped".

The bandwidth allocation down to 1% is because once stopped, all 2500 will begin to seed. With BT there is no way to stop them completely, so the next best thing would be to lower the bandwidth to 1% using the mass command feature by "right clicking" while the mouse cursor is in the left summary column field. Down to 25%, then 10%, then 5%, then 3% then 1%. ...Vuze is soo much easier, you just type 1% in and that's that.

You know you could do this another way, by just downloading your torrents into a file in "My Docs" and then importing them into BT 1 by 1 as you add them to the list. Windows won't allow the same 2 torrents to be loaded into any file. It will ask if you want to "overwrite".

I'm thinking the reason for the disappearance in the first place is that you caused BT to dump your torrents somehow. If you had a system to check the duplicity of a torrent BEFORE it reached BT, then you would never have to worry about an accidental "dumping" again. And a file in "My Doc" would be recoverable no matter how many updates you did.

That's a good system for preventing duplicate files for the most part. The only problem is that thepiratebay only has magnet links which go directly to BT. Right now none of my "stopped" torrents are doing anything. They aren't taking up the bandwidth, downloading, or uploading; I solved that problem when I "stopped" them. The issue is that they are taking up my queue space preventing new downloads from ever reaching the top (unless I choose add to top of queue, but I don't want to have to do that for every torrent). Since I can only skip the files from the torrents torrent-by-torrent, is going through all of them individually the only way to simulate finished torrents? Thanks.

I have not found a way to issue the "Don't DL" command massively.

You have the option of "not DLing" as the torrent enters the BT list, but once again it is a 1 by 1 procedure. And you would still have to DL at least 1 file out of every torrent, even if it was only a txt or jpg file.

We're dealing with BT default here. No way to change without reprogramming BT.

Add more space to system restore so that it will hold more older restore points. [That won't help you now...but in the future??]

I still think that there is a way around, by making a copy of all the torrents in the BT folder in Application Data. Copying them to an outside folder. It would involve extra steps in loading new torrents into BT, but its either that or watching re-runs.

I just answered another question which may have been the right answer for you as well...if I had thought of it.

Your torrents may have disappeared in the 1st place, not because they were deleted, but because they were hidden. If I had told you to click on the "Labels" category in the Summary column and the double-click on the "No Labels" sub-category, your torrents might have just magically reappeared...they still might. But doing that now might make everything worse, because you'll have the old torrents and the new ones you added on your list and you would have to clean the replacements off.

Might be a worse mess than you already have.

read the Haha I read the first part of your post and immediately went to try it. However, my BT stopped responding when I right-clicked in summary, so I figured I'd some back here to finish the post while I was waiting for it to respond again. Luckily. I would be surprised if they showed up though, because wouldn't my torrents have been already loaded in BT when I reloaded them in? BT would have told me that my torrents were duplicates. However, if they were hidden, I could show them again and sort by date torrent added to delete the new oens I just put in.

Archived