Circumventing College Network Restrictions with VPN

AGlass0fMilk

I will be going off to college in the fall and it would be nice to be able to download torrents while I am there even over the college network. It's not necessary but it would be nice.

Recently I have been reorganizing my home network to provide computers on our network (along with the proper credentials) access to a 2TB external hard drive attached to the main desktop (a sort of software based NAS, through file sharing), as well as our printer and other network resources.

While I was doing this I thought it would be cool to set up a VPN host on our desktop so that I could connect to our home network at college through the VPN and access the previously mentioned network resources. The VPN is currently working for what I want it to do.

I understand that VPN's allow one to circumvent certain regional restrictions and blocked sites as well as provide a more secure connection in public networks. Now for the question:

I am wondering if it would be possible to use my home network's VPN to hide my torrent downloading.

I know that network administrators at my college would be able to see my downloading volumes but I beliebe BitTorrent allows you to restrict the download speeds/volumes (I would also like more information on this aspect of downloading torrents discreetly).

As I said, it's not a neccessity but it would be nice. I just want to get the most out of my VPN and my technology.

Thank you for any info, I'm pretty new to networking but I've gotten this far!

Archived