Downloading snag

Guest Amadeus

Guest Amadeus

wF14w.png

I started to download Dream theatre dicography couple of days ago.Since today the download does not progress beyond 92% although the application shows it is downloading the files.

ONly the size of the corrupt files under dowmloaded has increased till 28.3 Gb(and continues to increase) whereas the Have size remains a constant at 3.2 Gb.

Can I complete the download or should I remove the torrent?

It sounds like either the remote peers are sending corrupt pieces (which is extremely likely in music torrents, as music files get silently re-tagged frequently, effectively corrupting them) or you have a D-Link router afflicted by the "D-Link DMZ Download Destroyer," a bug in specific D-Link routers that causes specific data, when sent through the router, to become corrupted.

The screenshot you show however, tells us you're using a client that either isn't BitTorrent official or is old enough that we likely no longer support it.

Guest ProLogic

D-Link routers can indeed mess up your downloads, but from the look of it, this is not the case (you got over 90% of your torrent downloaded)

This is not the problem with the software, but the peers you are downloading/sharing from/with. There are many companies that want to stop file sharing and connect to you just to send corrupted data, slowing down the download or preventing it completely in some cases. This is called poisoning.

I can't recall if Transmission client provides settings for automatic peer banning, but in uTorrent/BitTorrent you can make your client more aggressive when it comes to banning: by default u/BTorrent first look at the ratio of good-to-bad data sent by the peer and 'kicks them in the face' only if ratio drops. In your case, they probably sent you enough good pieces they will throw their bad data at you for a while... What you do is adjusting the bt.ban_ratio (decrease the value. 1 is min.)

Btw, CONGRATULATIONS! You are probably the most persistent BT user I saw so far xD I would probably give up on 0.5Gb of wasted data, you endured 7x size of actual download size, that is something :lol:

If this carries on, go get the CDs, it will save you equal or more cash on electricity bill ;)

Archived