All of my torrents have vanished!

Guest Dino

Guest Dino

All of my torrents have vanished from Bittorrent. They are all still in my download folder, but bittorrent is completely empty.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lorraine

All of my torrents have vanished from Bittorrent. They are all still in my download folder, but bittorrent is completely empty.

I had the same problem. Windows crashed and once I recovered, Bittorrent was "empty." All torrent files were gone. I was able to reload most of them, but many were gone forever. It took hours to repair. The most frustrating aspect was that most of the torrent files that were lost were ones that I was seeding; I had to go back to torrent sites, reload the torrent file and relocate every file.

Outside of a full system restore, can anyone suggest a way to back up Bittorrent to make recovery easier? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Guest No Way

Happened to me, my BitTorrent list of torrents was erased, due a PC power down.

Now, when I tried to seed my torrents, all finished for weeks, I see that BitTorrent reports that all are unfinished, and clearly, no way to get them back, since noone is seeding them.

I had my concerns posted in another thread here, but my posts deleted and the topic closed. Nice! I have to switch to another piece of software that doesn't mess things so badly.

Guest alan nilsson

same here this morning all my torrents went,cant even find a record of them seems to be a major bug.

alan g6fcx@yahoo.co.uk

has anyone found a way of getting them back

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lorraine

And what exact step are you having problems with? And how doesn't it work for you?

Hi Harold,

I think the problem is (not the fault of BitTorrent) but that despite having proper BitTorrent configuration (as in the documentation you referenced), if the OS crashes while BitTorrent is running, many of the .torrent files just disappear from the machine.

To recover without the .torrent file, you have to look through the filesys and locate the individual folders where the partially downloaded torrents are located. Then you have to go back to the torrent website and re-add the torrent, start it, and wait until it starts downloading. Then you stop the download, and relocate each individual partially downloaded file in the torrent to the download location (before the crash). Next you have to "Set Download Location..." of the torrent "Name" (again, to the download location before the crash) and when it asks if you want to overwrite the file(s), you say no. Then you "Force Re-check" and it finds and updates (it's knowledge of) the files to the percentage already completed. BitTorrent picks up from there and finishes the downloading. This process takes a long time if you have lots of torrents that lost their .torrent file but it's the only way I know how to recover when the .torrent file has disappeared. Until I figure out how to recover the "Label," I decided to not use that function anymore.

Another unfortunate aspect of this problem is that is you have finished downloading some files, you can't seed them until you recover the .torrent file.

I don't know any other way to recover from this "disappeared" .torrent file problem. Sometimes, BitTorrent is just not able to recover when it is running and the OS hangs/crashes and needs to be rebooted. There does not seem to be a way to back up the current "profile" by which I mean back up all the .torrent files and labels that might have been applied to individual torrents, and so on.

I hope this explanation helps--I think this problem that I had is the same that the others have described.

• 9 months later...
Guest TheDarkness

I know this thread is old, but I just want to put this tidbit for anyone that gets here because they lost all their torrents. This problem most often occurs because your resume.dat file gets corrupted. If you look in your data folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent), you will likely see a very small (1 KB in my case) resume.dat, and a very large (2 MB in my case) resume.dat.old. If you can recover the resume.dat.old file so that it's readable again, then copy it to resume.dat, you'll get all of your torrent files resumed properly and sourced to their correct download destinations.

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much

Guest_TheDarkness_*

for pointing us in the right direction.

1) I went to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent" & found "resume.dat" & resume.dat.old".

2) Here, I found it easier to just right-click into resume.dat's "properties" & RESTORE TO PREVIOUS VERSION, which was marked a few days ago. =)

Sure I lost a couple new torrents I put in today, But all my seeds are still there!

So super happy this is solved!

Thanks again!

Archived