Can I fix the torrent instead of creating a new one?

Guest Greg

My experience with torrent is rather minimal, so forgive me if I don't use a standard terminology. Anyway, I've tried to download a multi-file torrent. Got 52.5% of everything and then it stopped, and for several days I can't complete the download. There are 2-3 peers and seems like everyone of them has exactly the same 52.5% of download. So there are 3-4 of us, and we're stuck.

Now, today, I did some snooping on web and ended up downloading all of those files from the other source. So I got them all. Now I would like to share them somehow with those folks still at 52.5%, but how? Clearly I don't want to create a new torrent, rather I would like to fix the one I have, that is, replace every incomplete file with the complete file and then start the torrent, so hopefully those folks will pick up the remaining 47.5% percent of the stuff from me. But how? And is that doable at all?

TIA,

Greg.

Stop the torrent, right-click and relocate the individual files on the files tab to match the ones you've downloaded elsewhere and then force a re-check on the torrent.

Alternatively, you can run a copy of bittorrent on a second computer on your network (if you have one) that points to a copy of the files you downloaded from the other sources.

Stop the torrent, right-click and relocate the individual files on the files tab to match the ones you've downloaded elsewhere and then force a re-check on the torrent.

Alternatively, you can run a copy of bittorrent on a second computer on your network (if you have one) that points to a copy of the files you downloaded from the other sources.

Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try. The first scenario, that is. I don't have a second computer I can use for this purpose.

- Greg -

The second option can be done with a virtual machine, such as one run using VirtualBox.

It also causes the least amount of piece damage to your existing partial since you don't have the risk of losing cross-file pieces when you do the merge.

It's worth looking in to at least.

Archived