what speed should i get on 384 connection?

Guest 384kbs

Guest 384kbs

hi, been under using our ADSL and now trying to download with torrest from thepiratebay. we only have a 384kbs ADSL connection but the download/upload is showing as 9.7/1.5 and a 579meg file says it'll take 23hrs to download. i'd be crying if i wasn't laughing so much :-)

• 2 months later...

gtg will check back in a couple of hours in case someone can help - please?

One thing you need to understand is that the service provider who is giving you the internet almost always quotes his capability [or speed] in bits/sec or kilobits/sec or megabits/sec. However, in almost all the displays, the speed being displayed is in bytes/sec or kilobytes/sec or megabytes/sec. The relationship is 1 byte = 8 bits precisely. So, for example, if your service provider has promised a speed of upto 400 kbps [notice, the 'b' will be in small case here] the maximum you can expect to see while downloading would be 80 KBPS [here, the 'B' is in capitals, indicating Bytes -- not bits as in previous case].

With such a figure as I have quoted [i remember you quoted a figure of some 380 or so] here, assuming 80 KBPS speed is being maintained throughout the download, 4.8 MB will be downloaded in a minute and 248 MB can be downloaded in an hour. However, the service provider would have set the maximum figure promised by him and you can never get any speed higher than that from him although the speeds could be much lower for most of other times due to various reason s. So, typically a movie of about 700 MB should take three hours or more to download with your connection.

Archived