Bit torrent system over LAN/WAN

psfletcher

Hi Everyone,

I've used bit torrents for years for downloading stuff, but its always been over the net and has just worked.

I've got a project at work which bit torrent transfers have been suggested and I'd like some advice on how to implement this.

I have multiple 15GB files to be collected from remote sites into a central server.

Our software creates these files so I know where they are and when there ready to be transferred.

But the files are at remote sites over a slow WAN link, so I need something that is restart-able, also I have load balanced lines so multiple socket connections would also be good! Which is why I've been suggested to look at bit torrents.

I have a central server that could act as a tracker, but what is the best way of getting the files from the remote sites to the central server. The system is client/server normally but I want a server/client setup.

How does this get setup???

This will also be over a internal lan and I have full control over all devices, so there will be no need to watch for leeching.

Can anyone suggest how this could be done and if there is any software that could be command line or api drivern?

Thanks

Pete

Thanks for the reply, the info just needs to get to the central server not the remote sites.

I thought of rsync, but I don't know if it works on Windows (other software in the system works on it!) and there is another issue!

We have a very large file and we need to try to get it transferred as fast as possible.

Due to this where looking into 2 x adsl links to give use greater throughput, but at the moment where unsure how the bonding of these two lines will work. Line balanced or bonded. If bonded rsync, ftp or another restartable protocol will work fine.

If its line or load balanced then we may need multiple ip address or socket ports to force the use of two connections.

This is why bit torrents where considered because it can pull from multiple sources and rebuild it at the receiving end , and we can then control the data flow over the two WAN channels.

Does that explain the issue a little better?

Thanks

Pete

Chances are your connections would be load balanced unless your routing hardware supports bonding of the connections.

There are very few if any clients that support multiple wan interfaces. Our client is NOT among the ones that support it.

If you're setting up for multiple interfaces on your remote sites, you're PROBABLY going to need to have one computer per internet connection on the remote site with the torrent, each one set to use a different connection from the others in order to be able to get the files to transfer. You CAN have them on the same LAN in that situation, and you don't need to copy the files ahead of time. Local peer discovery and local transfer would be effectively capped at your LAN speed.

Hi, where talking to the isp to confirm load balanced or bonded.

But if I went down multiple pc route more than likely in a vmware server. How would I build say two local clients per site and get it to download on the server?

What's need?

Thanks for your replies!

Pete

Archived