MAC - Bittorrent client have difficulty to close

alabama160

Hello!

I run a mac and my bittorrent client always have difficulty to close. It doesn't close unless I force it to do. Did someone else ever had this problem? Sure, it's not big deal but when I close my cpu, it take me longer. Thanks you for your answer.

M

Have a bit of patience! It isn't instantaneous. It has to disconnect each torrent from the group and server. If you force quit, it has to recheck the files sometimes when you start it up again. You can also stop each torrent, then quite and it will close faster...

• 1 month later...
Guest Macuser

How long are you waiting before trying to force close?

I have this problem also. I am using a Mac on OS 10.7 Lion. I believe I am using the most current BitTorrent, I cannot currently access the "About" panel.

I usually let a torrent seed for as long as it took to download, less if the download rates are very slow and my upload rates are high. I've noticed that BitTorrent will frequently nearly lock me out of the program itself. Most of the menu items under the BitTorrent menu including "About BitTorrent", "Preferences", "Check for Updates" and "Quit BitTorrent" are grayed out. Additionally, I cannot select any torrent file or tab in the main window using my mouse. If I have more than one active file, say one file downloading and one file seeding, I can switch between those files using my arrow keys. I must Force Quit and restart to make any changes.

• 1 month later...

thats the thing, I cant even stop te downloads, it wont let me do anything but open new torrents from outside the program. No matter how many times ive reinstalled, it just doesnt work.

Guest Charlie

thats the thing, I cant even stop te downloads, it wont let me do anything but open new torrents from outside the program. No matter how many times ive reinstalled, it just doesnt work.

I have exactly the same problem. Lots of stuff greyed out of the menu (e.g. Preferences, Quit) and I can't click on anything in the torrents download window. I have to force quit. Initially, everything works ok; only later does the greying out happen - trying to find out what's the trigger. Just to let you know, you are not alone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Charlie

The problem only seems to occur when adding new torrents to Bit Torrent when it is already running. The solution is to go to Preferences and under the General tab, uncheck 'Start Downloads Automatically'. You then need to restart BitTorrent.

Obviously, you can't click on Preferences if you have the problem, so you will first need to Force Quit BitTorrent, then restart BitTorrent and do the above.

Curiously, the exact same problem happens with uTorrent for Mac. See http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=615122#p615122 and http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=622502#p622502

The problem seems to be something to do with an invisible window opening which then makes it impossible to click anywhere on the main window.

i cant quit mine because the bittorrent window has frozen, I can't click anything on the window! The only thing i could click was the top bar, allowing me to "open torrent file". Now it wont shut down and i cant click anything!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Lisa

my bit torrent has been frozen for days- a small window w/ no contents opened up on the top left of the bit torrent screen and after that every time I clicked on the program it made that infuriating beep sound. I tried restarting my computer but I couldn't even turn my computer off because bit torrent wouldn't quit. I tried to run out the battery but that did not work either. I was getting quite worried! But then I figured it out.

RESOLUTION

Go to the Apple Menu > Force Quit > select BitTorrent.

TAH-DAH!

Further details, c/o Apple:

Here are ways to force an application to quit: (Step #1 worked for me)

1. Choose Apple menu > Force Quit, select the application in the list, and click Force Quit.

2. Hold down the Command and Option keys and press Esc. Then select the application in the list and click Force Quit.

3. Hold down the Option key and press the application’s icon in the Dock.

After you force an application to quit, try using it again. If it still doesn’t work, try restarting your computer.

If you continue to have problems, you may need to install the application again or contact the application’s manufacturer for more help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stacey

hi when i click get this torrent bit torrent used to open automatically, and it used to download now when i click it nothing happens

does anyone know what i should do!???

Archived