New user with two questions, re: BT version & hibernation mode

jimmo

Hello, I am a new user of BitTorrents, and have two questions--

1. How do I find which version of BT I have--whether classic or the newer Chrysalis version? Where do I look on the BT website to find this information?

2. The bigger problem or question--will torrents continue to download even while my computer is in Hibernation mode? If not in Hibernation, may I download in Standby mode?

Thank you

1> The version of BitTorrent you have can be clearly identified by the interface type. The new Chrysalis version has no menu bar. The classic version has a menu bar (including help -> about for the precise version).

2> No to both. Your computer isn't active enough in either mode to run ANY applications at all. Monitor sleep mode (where the tower is on but the screen is off) will work.

1> The version of BitTorrent you have can be clearly identified by the interface type. The new Chrysalis version has no menu bar. The classic version has a menu bar (including help -> about for the precise version).

2> No to both. Your computer isn't active enough in either mode to run ANY applications at all. Monitor sleep mode (where the tower is on but the screen is off) will work.

Thank you kindly.

I now know I have the original version of BitTorents.

And in the future, I will put the laptop in the "Sleep" mode, to give the monitor a rest when I take one myself, allowing the torrents to continue doing their things.

• 3 months later...

That sleep mode is likely also a standby mode that shuts the computer down enough to suspend all activity. Just a heads up on that.

Hi Harold:

Thank you for your help.

I guess I will just shut my monitor off, then, and leave my hard drive running if I am actively downloading BT files.

But I have read it is okay to shut down one's computer, or even just the BT program off while seeding, as the seeding will resume when one reactivates the BT program, so long as the files have not been deleted or moved, changed in any way.

I know it is important to "be a good citizen," as another helpful BT client named "Matt" put it, and just make sure the Ratio column in the Detailed View of the Toggle Torrent View is 1.0 or greater, to make sure one is helping others to download and keep a torrent "Healthy."

Someday, when I am able, I would actually like to upload some things from my own music and video collections, media that is not on BT at all, as I have quite large collections of music on CDs, and classic television and rock & roll videos.

What I have discovered from my own BT searching is that current TV programming is more likely to be available for sharing than more esoteric and/or older TV programming. So, I would like to be able to help others, like myself, who are interested in building their collections of classic and vintage TV, as well great rock and punk rock audio and video.

It is easier, for example, to obtain episodes of "Two And A Half Men" or last week's "Late Show With David Letterman." But it is not as easy to obtain episodes of TV series' such as "The Danny Thomas Show"/"Make Room For Daddy," "December Bride," and "Pete & Gladys," or of talk shows such as "The Jack Paar Show" and "The Dick Cavett Show," or "The Late Late Show With Tom Snyder," nor of classic TV game shows such as "I've Got A Secret" and "What's My Line?," although the latter somewhat on You Tube.

In addition, I have several of what used to be called "bootleg" music videos, although a less clandestine term would probably be "independently-produced" music videos. But some are really of quite good quality, such as two of The Ramones shot hand-held/tripod in 1977, when they were still fresh and exciting, not just "going through the motions," as with many of their later shows. I also have video of The Animals, The Buzzcocks, The Clash, The Cramps, The Dictators, Iggy Pop, Little Richard, The New York Dolls, The Rolling Stones, The Sex Pistols, Ike & Tina Turner, The Undertones, The Velvet Underground, and The Yardbirds. Many of them are independently-shot, but even some of the commercial ones are from the pre-Macro-Vision era, so should be easy uploads.

By the way, do you know of any program/software, preferably free, which allows one to unscramble the Macro-Vision, so one may then copy to a disc and upload as torrents?

Again, thank you for your help.

Jim

Archived