port forwarding

terrynot

I am new to Bit Torrent.

My previous program had ridiculously low download speeds-months, even years in some cases. They assured me that my Norton Internet Security was not causing the problem.

I lost a complete hard drive to a virus 2 years ago and am thus terrified of lowering my firewall settings. However, I now believe I must open a port (ports) to allow efficient operation of Bit Torrent software. I have been unable to access this information here. Could someone please direct me to instructions on how to accomplish this.

Thank you

Proper configuration of norton would require contacting them, although given its history I personally (and this may not reflect the opinions of BitTorrent Inc.) believe that the only way to properly configure norton is to uninstall it and replace it with something better.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm has guides for configuring your router (skip the ad to get the guide, their application doesn't work as well as they claim)

Proper configuration of norton would require contacting them, although given its history I personally (and this may not reflect the opinions of BitTorrent Inc.) believe that the only way to properly configure norton is to uninstall it and replace it with something better.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm has guides for configuring your router (skip the ad to get the guide, their application doesn't work as well as they claim)

Dear Mr. Feit,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

As I have paid $72 for this Norton subscription, I am reluctant to trash it. It was highly recommended by the sources I researched. So what would you recommend as something better? I am living on disability payments and have little money to spend.

Do all Bit Torrent members have to perform this procedure? Is this usual requirement for Bit Torrent use?

What risk am I taking by partially defeating my Internet protection to allow Bit Torrent through?

Thank you again.

Archived