Certain Torrents Extremely Slow While Others Fly

Guest SteveKasian

Guest SteveKasian

Hi,

I have been noticing this for years, but tonight it's really got me irritated to the point of posting about it in hopes that there might be something I can do to change it.

I have my router properly configured and have a 25MB/s downstream and a 5MB/s upstream connection on a very clean 3.4GHz dual core computer running Windows XP SP3 with about 30 processes running. (I am an IT tech and I know what I'm doing.)

Certain torrents scream at upwards of 4 and 5 MB/s while others crawl at a snails pace.

No global throttling is enabled, up or down. Upstream speed is throttled on each individual torrent at 150KB/s (but I have experimented with everything from 1KB/s to no throttling - many points in between. I've also experimented with a wide range of connection # limits. I've found that I get the best results with both Global Connections and Connected Peers Per Torrent set at 9999.

Right now I've got a torrent (#1) with 148(418) Seeds and 95(938) Peers coming down at 1.2MB/s to 3MB/s.

I have another torrent (#2) with 15(591) Seeds and 255(4164) Peers and it is crawling along at anywhere from 10KB/s to 100KB/s - It's average speed is down around 20KB/s.

What in god's name is going on with torrent #2?? I get this all the time - some of the most well seeded/shared torrents have the slowest download speeds. What gives? It drives me CRAZY!

Thanks,

Steve

What in god's name is going on with torrent #2?? I get this all the time - some of the most well seeded/shared torrents have the slowest download speeds. What gives? It drives me CRAZY!

Look at the difference in the ratio of seeds to peers.

Also, doing your upload limit per torrent instead of globally is probably part of your problem. And your connection limits are a massive contributing factor. BitTorrent doesn't work well when trying to maintain connections to that many peers at once.

Guest Steve Kasian

Look at the difference in the ratio of seeds to peers.

Also, doing your upload limit per torrent instead of globally is probably part of your problem. And your connection limits are a massive contributing factor. BitTorrent doesn't work well when trying to maintain connections to that many peers at once.

Thanks for the response. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some advise in that regard. I have experimented with lots of different limits and I seem to get the best results with higher numbers.

Also, the ratio of CONNECTED seeds to CONNECTED peers is part of my frustration. Certain torrents, like torrent #2 above, simply won't connect to more than a handful of seeds, even when there are thousands of them available. Why is that?

Thanks,

Steve

Certain torrents, like torrent #2 above, simply won't connect to more than a handful of seeds, even when there are thousands of them available. Why is that?

Because all of the connection slots on those seeds are occupied by other downloaders on the torrent.

I personally use 150/30/4 (global/per torrent/upload slots) and get 1.7mbyte/sec download speeds (15mbit down connection, sustained maximum)

I also only run one download active at a time, with 2 total active torrents normally.

Guest Steve Kasian

Because all of the connection slots on those seeds are occupied by other downloaders on the torrent.

I personally use 150/30/4 (global/per torrent/upload slots) and get 1.7mbyte/sec download speeds (15mbit down connection, sustained maximum)

I also only run one download active at a time, with 2 total active torrents normally.

Thanks. I tried those settings, and decreased my max connections to 200/100. It has slowed my download speed to about 30KBps and I am now connected to an average of 5 seeds out of 1013 available.

I just don't get it. Certain torrents are like this. I've been connected to this thing for over 12 hours. Why do certain torrents lock you out of the loop? That is supposed to be the whole powerful thing behind torrent technology - that everyone gets in on the bandwidth, and the more you share the more you get in return. Certain torrents like this one seem to shut out certain peers no matter what that peer does. Anybody know why that is, and if it is possible to "break in" so that your not left on the sidelines with 56K dial-up speeds on a 30Mbps pipe?

Right now, I'm downloading a torrent with over 1,000 seeds. I used Harold's settings (150/30/4) and I'm getting 30 kb/s.

What are the recommended settings for BitTorrent?

Thanks. I tried those settings, and decreased my max connections to 200/100. It has slowed my download speed to about 30KBps and I am now connected to an average of 5 seeds out of 1013 available.
If you're using an upload limit that is too high, you will choke your connection off. Additionally dividing your connection too many ways will actually cause ALL torrents to run slower (if they decide to run at all).

Your internet provider may be interfering, as well as your internet security software.

Guest Steve Kasian

If I am "using an upload limit that is too high"? I just told you that I am using the settings you recommended with more available downstream throughput than you have (25MB/s). I am not dividing my connection too many ways, as I am only downloading one torrent. And neither my internet provider nor my security software is interfering. As I stated multiple times, certain torrents come down at 4 and 5Mbps with no problem.

I've covered all of this multiple times. I appreciate your willingness to help, but frankly it does get a bit frustrating when the answers I get back clearly disregard points that have been covered. I'd really appreciate some answers that are more than shots in the dark.

If anyone's got some, please help!

Thanks,

Steve

Try with the apply rate limit to uTP turned off. It may keep your connection pinned, but at least uTP will attempt to claw itself back when you want to do something else. There are ways to fine tune the thresholds that uTP uses to slow itself down in the advanced settings if it's still a problem (the two net.utp target_delay settings, I run them both at 80).

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem kinda the same. When I start a torrent, the upload and download fly, but after a few hours the upload speed is at five times the download speed. When I limit the upload speed to the same as the download speed, then the download speed increases at 5 times for a while, then slows to a lower speed than the upload speed. I have tried everything and nothing works ( kinda like they are taking advantage of my fast connection and leaving me sucking along at five times slower ). I think the torrent sites are doing this!!

I can get on another computer that is setting idle and start a torrent ( same connection ) and it will fly through the torrent at a quarter of the time for a few torrents, and then the same thing.

I timed both with a stop watch, and checked connetion speed and pinged both computers and thay are close to the same, with my computer showing a little faster, but torrents slower. I have tried to clear my feed list so only one torrent is downloading/uploading. Still the same thing after a while ( upload fast download slow ). I am woking on this problem at the moment. Thanks, Robert

Archived