Upgrade To 7.9.1 Crashing Continuously.

gridsleep

BT upgraded from 7.8.1 to 7.9.1 and now crashes continuously a minute or more after a restart. It tries to send a crash report but says HTTPSendReport failed. I'm going to have to downgrade to 7.8.1 if this keeps up. I've already renamed settings.dat and allowed it to reform. The crashing continues. Running Windows XP x64.

Now that I have looked over your site, I see that previous versions are not available for download. So your upgrade has ended my P2P. Please let me know how to fix this or provide me with a link to 7.8.1 so I can get back to business.

I found the "updates" subdirectory and was able to retrograde to 7.8.1_30332. BT is running stably again and has not crashed for several minutes. I am going to avoid any upgrade until you can report that the 7.9.1 problem has been solved, or if you wish me to upgrade and collect data for you to help evaluate the problem. I also have eleven crash reports on disk that apparently were not sent. If you want them, let me know where to send them. Thanks.

Running Windows XP x64.

Which is no longer supported by Microsoft as of last month and is probably part of the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

I'd check into the internet security software you have installed as well, as that software has been known to interfere.

Attaching the crash dumps to this thread might help (either directly in a zip or via a dropbox/onedrive link)

Thanks for replying. I have made a RAR of the eleven crash logs generated while trying to get 7.9.1 to work. The RAR is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28202314/BitTorrent%20crash%20logs.rar since it and each of the dump files exceed the attachment size limit.

I still use Windows XP x64 in this computer because of peripheral hardware that does not nor ever will have drivers for a newer operating system. Replacing that perfectly functioning hardware and buying a Windows 7 license for this computer will total over $1000, which is spending a lot of money to fix something that isn't broken. It sounds too much like planned obsolescence to me. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I use for other purposes. If worse comes to worse I will either switch my file sharing to that, or, if I don't feel like keeping a computer running all the time, I can simply stop sharing files.

Archived