Downloads Awfully Slow!

ReeceF11

ooh -.- lol but its so strange because my brother tested his torrents speeds aswell and he was getting 3mb downloads yet im still getting 200-300kb. And checked Bittorrent which downloads in kb/s now final try lol this should be in kb/s 3527940510.png

kb - little b means 'bits.' A single 1 or 0.

kB - big B means 'Bytes' and is 8 bits. like 01101100

If BitTorrent is showing you 300kB/s then that is actually 2400kb/s. Capitalization matters.

ISPs always show bits because the numbers are bigger and sound more impressive. Programs usually show Bytes because those more likely correspond to minimum useful blocks of data.

If your brother is sharing the same connection as you, then any bandwidth he uses is bandwidth you can't use. Consider coordinating downloads of files you both want (then transfer on USB sticks or something) or restricting how much bandwidth both your BitTorrent clients use. 

Virgin Media as an ISP has notoriously low upload bandwidth - this means you have less to offer other peers in exchanges so must rely more on altruist seeders. 

Some torrents are just slow. There are a low number of people seeding or few peers that want the file. There isn't much that can be done. Try turning on DHT and peer exchange.

/as far as I know

I've been having the same problem for a month or two now. One day my download speed was really slow (30kB instead of the usual 800kB) and I hadn't changed any settings. It takes hours and sometimes days to download a movie now. I called my ISP and did a speed test and everything is working fine and I can download things via Chrome at the normal speed but my torrents are rediculously slow now. Any help is much appreciated.

Archived