Trouble Getting A Steady Connection

mrrcom

Hello all. I have a question for you! This has been bugging me for quite awhile but I figured I had some free time and decided to take a screen shot and ask whats going on with my connection and if I could fix it and maybe(hopefully) even make it faster...

So Ill be downloading whatever and it seems like every 60 seconds the download speed will go from around 420 kb/s to 360 and then back up again. Depending on what it is it will be even more erratic. Say 300 kb/s to 150 kb/s and back.

All my advanced settings are stock. BUT my boss... self proclaimed techno whiz... says I should set my "Max global connections" to pretty high... around 200. He said so I can connect to as many seeds as possible.

Is this wrong? Im wondering whats going on?

Side note, I have a 5mb/s service, Speedtest says im getting just a tad higher than that but my downloads seem to cap at around 400kb/s. I saw 1mb/s once but it was for a brief moment. How can I take advantage of what Im paying for? I have Comcast internet.... could they be limiting my speed?

Thanks!

g_zps37dfe6b7.jpg

All my advanced settings are stock. BUT my boss... self proclaimed techno whiz... says I should set my "Max global connections" to pretty high... around 200. He said so I can connect to as many seeds as possible.

Is this wrong? Im wondering whats going on?

Having a high global connection limit won't actually help things, and the "connecting to as many seeds as possible" causes you to end up with a LOT of wasted bandwidth. The bandwidth spent on keeping a lot of connections open is better spent on actually downloading and acknowledging pieces.

Archived