[Solved] Wireless Connection Constantly Drops

JFord

I have been using BitTorrent for several years without any major difficulties. Recently, I changed locations and am now using a different network. The internet connection here is blazing (14Mpbs down and 11Mbps up) and the ISP does not throttle BitTorrent traffic at all. But after connecting and beginning to upload and download torrents my wireless connection to the local router will stop working somewhere between five minutes and one hour later. Once traffic stops I appear to be still connected to the router, but no applications can communicate and I cannot even ping the router. My solution is to disconnect and then reconnect the wireless connection which resolves the problem for another random amount of time.

Google searches indicate that this is a known problem for some routers which apparently become overwhelmed by the number of connections. I reduced the number of connections I allow globally from 200 to 100 to 50 to 20 to 10, but that does not help. I have attempted to tweak any setting that appears to be related, but so far I cannot determine anything that has helped consistently. I have run the BitTorrent Setup Guide and followed the recommendations, but clearly my router cannot handle those settings.

The router is a Linksys E1200 V1. I updated the firmware to the latest version (1.0.04). I also disabled the SPI Firewall Protection which was recommended as a possible solution. I found some related threads on the uTorrent forum, but they were a little old and most of the referenced links were broken.

I am curious if anyone thinks that installing DD-WRT would resolve the problem. I am familiar with the process, but since it's a but of a PITA and since this is not my house I don't want to cause any problems for the good (but completely non-technical) people here unless I am pretty certain that will solve my issue.

Beyond that, I am interested in any ideas anyone can provide.

Thanks.

While you may be perfectly correct, my immediate response is that I have been using BitTorrent on this machine as is for several years with no problem. The only thing that has changed has been the network/router that I am using (even the torrents themselves are the same for the most part).

Also, all of the solutions I found during my investigation into the root cause pointed to the router.

Archived