downloading with bit torrent while using explorer

jimbob

Guest danwat1234

hmm. Well. It seems as though you are using Windows 98 or Win ME then? Windows NT operating systems don't let explorer act as a web browser..

So, I think you should upgrade to XP or higher for your safety.

Guest danwat1234

Assuming your talknig about Internet Explorer, and you can't surf anymore once you launch your bittorrent client, it may be because your router can't handle all the connections and so it drops some..

If that's the case, get a router that has more processing power and look at how many connections your bittorrent client is using.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joe Frank

I have the same problem, windows 7, chrome....when using uTorrent my browser is pretty much useless...can not load pages at all.....

Guest egoal kruck

Also, in the new 3.0 beta, it is no longer possible to column sort the percent complete column (Status)… in the previous versions it was possible to have either ascending or descending values (percentages) for this column

• 1 month later...

try to limit your upload and down load limits just rt click on the bittorent icon in the bottom rt corner of you screen. im able to use unlimited with my set up but with my wifes laptop i had to drop my down load to 250kbs and my upload to 25 kbs. this will get you up and going im sure... power to the share

• 7 months later...

I have upload and download limits set. Right now for example, I have DL of 128K and up of 8K set. I have 22 active connections in my connections list, and 3 active torrents.

My bandwidth can handle up to around 1.3 M download, and I have a global upload limit set at 64K up, though I know it can go higher.

I'm using Safari at the moment. It took 5 attempts to load this forum page, and I think it'll take one more, cause the image for the "confirm code" never bothered to load.

I actually had a page with 35 images (a blog post) that refused to load more than 50% of the images (? mark icons in their place), even with BT speed limited to 8K down and 2K up.

At this point... Is it even a problem on my side, or is Comcast just messing with me?

---

Several page load fails later, dropped my speed limiting to DL 64K / UL 4K

Trying again...

• 9 months later...

I have been having the exact same issue with not being able to surf the net while downloading. I paused my downloads, and googled the question, and found this site. Someone suggested limiting my download speed. I use utorrent, but the solution was pretty well the same. I also do not use my own router, as my internet comes with an all in one modem, with four physical ports for ethernet connections, as well as wireless capabilities. I use a short ethernet cable, but when my kids come visit, their laptops and cellphones all use the wireless. The DSL connection I pay for is 12 Mega bits d/l, 500 kilobits u/l. I regularly obtain speeds slightly past 12 Mega bits.

By coming here, I solved the problem immediately. In fact I am downloading two movies while I am replying here. On utorrent's page that shows up whenever I download, I clicked on "options" in the top left hand corner of my free version, then from the drop down menu I clicked on "preferences". From here I could see a box that read, "Global Download Rate Limiting". It reads (maximum download rate kB/s (0 = unlimited)). Mine was set at unlimited, ie 0. I've noticed when downloading one or more files at a time, the combined download rate shown on utorrents page is always around 1.3 MB/s. Just like it was suggested here, I was using my entire download availabilty whenever I downloaded using utorrent, leaving nothing for surfing. I typed in 900 where the zero was, clicked "apply", then clicked "OK", and went back and resumed my downloads I had paused. Sure enough, within about 30 seconds, my download rates settled in at a combined speed of 900 kB/s. I arbitrarily chose 900 kB/s, I could have tried higher or lower, but I figured roughly 75% would do me.

I now can use the net while I am downloading. Interestingly enough, I never had this problem before when my ISP was throttling their connections. But then I hardly ever reached my maximum download speed either. Don't get confused if I have confused bits and bytes here. My connection is 12 megaBITS, while utorrent shows my max speed as 1.3 megaBYTES. Years ago I would have been sure there are 8 bits to a byte. I am not entirely sure if that is the case still, I am perfectly happy with my download speed being set at 900 kB/s - I never need anything instantly anyway.

I thought it only fair that I share this success story with anyone else who googles the question, "why cant I use the internet while downloading?". I found tons of pages with irrelevant suggestions, or simply wrong solutions before coming across this site. One guy on one site had another guy out buying new wires for a problem that only occurs when he downloads using utorrent! My set up may be similar to someone else. It seems obvious too, that throttling back your download speed is probably the answer no matter what torrent software one uses to download.

Archived