Using Bittorrent

Willyd57

I used to have a torrent program that was simple. I typed a search string in and it would show me dozens of files the download. That program is now gone, lost in a hard drive crash and is not recoverable.

I am trying to figure out how to use BitTorrent now but it clearly works very different. How do I find torrent files that contain programs I want to download?

The help files say to do a regular search in my browser and include the word "torrent", then import that into BitTorrent by using the "add torrent form URL" option.  But this has not worked for me yet! I keep getting the error "Torrent is not valid bencoding" .

There is something I am not understanding here and It is starting to piss me off a bit.

Help would be just great!

Cheers

The help files say to do a regular search in my browser and include the word "torrent", then import that into BitTorrent by using the "add torrent form URL" option. But this has not worked for me yet! I keep getting the error "Torrent is not valid bencoding" .

Sometimes you have to navigate through some of those links to find the actual torrent link. You're probably feeding information page links and those don't work.

Sometimes you have to navigate through some of those links to find the actual torrent link. You're probably feeding information page links and those don't work.

Alright man, I will keep on feeding links till I find a good one then.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Did you try torrents from http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php yet?

Thanks again Harold for sticking with me on this. I found what I was looking for, but the only reason I was able to start a download was because the page had a Magnetic link button that when I clicked on it my browser (Chrome) came up with a popup window that basically said it had to launch bittorrent to handle that type of link. I clicked OK and bam! my download started.

Now I still have one issue with that download. It sucked down 98.6 % of the files like lightning. But then slowed down to around 1 or 2 KB/s which put my ETA at around 4 days! Could that be my ISP choking downloads of torrent files? Hmmmm.

Also, lets go back to how you feed BitTorrent URI strings. At first glance I thought it said URL, so I was feeding it the webpage URL and of course getting an error. But that begs the question where do you find the URI string? I went to http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php as you suggested and when I right clicked on one of the torrent packages available I got a download dialog asking me where I wanted to save the URI. So I gave it a path and after the download completed I double clicked the file name which brought up BitTorrent all ready to do the download. But when I said OK, I got the same error I get when feeding it a URL.... 

Thanks again for your input

Did you try copying the link to the torrents for slackware and adding that to BitTorrent?

I did that just now after reading your post. BitTorrent gave me an error saying it could not find the file basically. That did not surprise me because that is just text over the "real" link right? Or am I not understanding what you want me to try?

I highlighted the following string and pasted it to BitTorrent:

Slackware 14.1 x86 Install ISO disc 1 (A/AP/E/F/L/N/Y, bootable installer, kernels, testing/, USB and PXE installers, Slackbook, source code)

OK, Success with Slackware 14. I right clicked on a torrent link and chose "open in new tab". I got a download dialog, which I cancelled, and I also got a new tab called untitled. I pasted the URL from there to BitTorent and Bang! it worked!

here is the link I pasted:

http://www.slackware.com/torrents/slackware-14.1-install-d1.torrent

Archived